More and more tech enthusiasts are gravitating towards the top rated 2-in-1 laptops in order to avoid having to choose between a laptop and a tablet, offering them the best of both worlds. A 2-in-1 laptop is a personal computer which combines the advantages of a traditional laptop with those of a contemporary tablet for the most complete and convenient user experience possible. But, what exactly are the benefits of a 2-in-1 laptop and how can you ensure you get a model which will allow you to enjoy all of them?
Back to Top of Top Rated 2-in-1 Laptops
Tech4Trek Discounts for Digital Nomads and Travelers
- Note: If you join Google Fi through this link: Google Fi, we each receive $20 Fi credit.
- ExpressVPN - use this link to sign up and we each get 30 days free!
- Charles Schwab - pay NO fees for ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world and get reimbursed for those charged at machines. Use this link and you may get $100 when you become a Schwab client (** I don't know exactly how it works).
- Chase Sappire Preferred Card - pay no foreign transaction fees, get 60,000 bonus points (about $750)
- AirBnb - if you're new to AirBnb (is that even possible?), get $40 in travel credit on your first trip.
Choosing Top Rated 2-in-1 Laptops
When searching for a top rated 2-in-1 laptop, do not simply go with the first model you happen to come across. Much like traditional laptops and tablets, each 2-in-1 laptop is designed with a different kind of user in mind, so you should take your own needs into consideration before deciding which of the many models available right now is right for you.
Below, you will find some of the top rated 2-in-1 laptops, as well as a brief discussion of each detailing who stands to gain the most from purchasing it.
Lenovo ThinkPad T480p - Best Laptop for Work
Lenovo ThinkPad T480 - If the 2-in-1 laptop you choose is going to become a staple of your work arsenal, be sure to go with a model primarily intended for professional settings. Take Lenovo, for example. 2-in-1 laptops in the brand’s ThinkPad T series are often chosen by professionals as they can run full versions of Microsoft Office and other similar software and applications.
The Lenovo ThinkPad T480p is particularly popular in offices owing to its Solid-State Drive - which performs up to three times faster than its more common counterparts - its 12.5-hour battery life, and its Windows 10 Pro operating system.
One thing to note about the Lenovo ThinkPad T480p, and, indeed, the majority of ThinkPads, is their cost, so be sure to consult your budget before making a purchase. Masses of Lenovo product owners, myself included, swear by their Thinkpads and, unlike other popular and expensive brands, will easily last you five years or more with minimal maintenance and upkeep. A Lenovo product is an investment, for sure, but often delivers a strong ROI over time.
- Full Review: Lenovo ThinkPad T480
Want the beast of all 2-in-1 laptops? Check out my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (below), which I take around the world. All my Apple friends are constantly plugged in and looking for outlets, while I can sit at the beach for almost 4 hours uplugged, enjoying my 1 TB of Solid State Hard Drive and 16 GB Ram. My last Thinkpad lasted 5 years and was in perfect condition when I got this new one. The only reason I splurged on a new one was because I didn't want to jet set the world for a year or more with a 5 year old laptop.
- VOTED BEST LAPTOP AT CES 2018: The ThinkPad laptop computer includes robust security features, like ThinkShutter, which covers the front-facing HD webcam, and match-on-chip fingerprint readers with anti-spoofing technology that helps to safeguard company data while featuring a more secure way to authenticate log-in credentials.
- 2 in 1 LAPTOP: The innovative Rise and Fall Keyboard on the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga adapts to you; when you fold it into Laptop Mode, the keys rise so you can easily create a spreadsheet or write a report, then when you fold it into itself for Tablet Mode, the keys recess and lock. Y
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga is equipped with the new 8th generation Intel Quad Core processor, plus ultra fast memory with LPDDR3 to keep you productive wherever you are.
- LONG LASTING BATTERY: Lenovo ThinkPad laptop delivers up to 15 hours of battery life, plus if you're running low, the RapidCharge technology provides 80% capacity in just an hour. So a 60-minute lunch break or a layover can easily boost your battery up to 12 hours.
- DURABLE DESIGN: Tested against 12 military-grade requirements and passing more than 200 quality checks, this laptop computer is designed to withstand work, travel, fun, and anything else you can throw at it.
Acer Aspire R15 - Best for Gamers
Acer Aspire R15 - Gamers tend to look down on tablets and 2-in-1 laptops as they believe such devices lack the speed and clarity necessary for them to fully experience their games. While it is true the majority of 2-in-1 laptops are not cut out for use by dedicated gamers, there are a number of models which were designed with gamers in mind, one of the most popular being the Aspire R15 from Acer.
The Acer Aspire R15 boasts NVIDIA GeForce 940MX graphics for an immersive gaming experience no matter where you are. It also promises superior audio quality, which is made possible by its dual built-in speakers and internal subwoofer.
- Full Review: Acer Aspire 15 Inch 2 in 1 Laptop
Dell Inspiron 13 5000 - Best for Streaming and Entertainment
Dell Inspiron 13 5000 - In many ways, the Dell Inspiron 13 5000 is the middle ground between a 2-in-1 laptop which was intended for business and a 2-in-1 laptop which was intended for leisure. The backlit keyboard allows the user to tackle essays and reports, although some have reported its keys being a little too stiff for it to be of much use when taking on anything that extends beyond a couple thousand words.
Its 1920 x 1080 screen may not make for the most authentic gaming experience, but it does allow the user to stream their favorite movies and television shows with vivid colors and near-perfect clarity. This is arguably the ideal 2-in-1 laptop for those who aren’t particularly enthusiastic about technology and are simply searching for a sturdy laptop which they can rely on to perform rudimentary tasks on the road and in the office.
HP 15.6 Inch HD Touchscreen Laptop - Best for Affordability
HP 15.6 Inch HD Touchscreen Laptop - Give some consideration to the HP 15T Touch, if you’re looking for a 2-in-1 laptop but don’t have the budget to purchase something like the Dell Inspiron 13 5000 or the Acer Aspire R15. The HP 15T Touch is a touchscreen laptop which can be purchased for less than $500, arguably making it the perfect introduction to 2-in-1 laptops.
Despite its low price tag, the 15T Touch boosts many of the features one would expect to find on its more expensive alternatives, such as a responsive touchscreen, a wide array of pre-installed apps, and a selection of ports.
- Full Review: HP 15.6 Inch HD Touchscreen Laptop
Laptops 2 in 1 Amazon Best Sellers
- Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad, HP Digital Pen in natural silver included.
- 15.6-inch diagonal FHD IPS Bright View micro-edge WLED-backlit touchscreen (1920 x 1080)
- 8th Generation Intel Dual-Core i3-8130U base clock 2.2GHz, turbo to 3.4GHz.
- 4 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM and 16GB Intel Octane memory, total 20GB memory.
- Intel 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo (MU-MIMO supported)
- HIGH PERFORMANCE LAPTOP: The Chromebook C330 is equipped with a MediaTek MT8173C Processor, Chrome OS, 4 GB LPDDR3, 64 GB eMMC and so much more
- SLEEK & STYLISH DESIGN: Sleek, stylish and secure, this 360 degree convertible laptop is less than one inch thin and 2.6 lbs. light with a 11-inch FHD IPS Touch Display perfect for day-to-day computing and multimedia, on or offline
- POWERFUL PROCESSING: Enjoy powerful processing for daily tasks, LPDDR3 memory for multitasking, eMMC storage for quick boot-ups, fast software loading and additional 100 GB of cloud storage via Google Drive, all on your Lenovo Chromebook C330
- BUILT TO CONNECT US: Full I/O support comes standard on the Chromebook C330 with USB-C, SD and USB 3.0 for effortless connectivity
- EASY TO USE: The Lenovo Chromebook C330 is easy to use, offers built-in virus protection and keeps going with long battery life. No setup is needed, just a Google account so your emails, maps, docs, pics stay with you via cloud storage
- POWERED BY INTEL: The Lenovo Flex 11 packs a punch with powerful Intel Pentium processing, 4 GB DDR4 memory and speedy 64GB of eMMC SSD storage
- ON THE GO LAPTOP: Weighing in at just 2.75 lbs. and constructed with premium materials, this small, convertible laptop transitions seamlessly from work to play
- VERSATILE CONNECTIVITY: With multiple ports including USB 3.0, Type-C, HDMI, and a 4-in-1 card reader, you'll be able to hook up your laptop computer to your existing devices with no fuss and no extra purchases
- DYNAMIC ENTERTAINMENT: Featuring HD resolution on an anti-glare touchscreen and the crystal-clear sound of Dolby Audio Premium, the Flex 11 provides the quality of a home theater in compact form
- REDESIGNED WITH YOUR COMFORT IN MIND: The Flex 11 features an ergonomic keyboard for maximum comfort and a redesigned touchpad for a more precise user experience with multi-finger gestures. Touch, click, and zoom-you'll feel the difference
Back to Top of Top Rated 2-in-1 Laptops
2-in-1 Laptops versus Traditional Laptops
When laptops first became popular in mainstream society, the game changed. Computers were portable for the first time, and busy professionals no longer had to restrict their working hours to the time they were at the office. Although they were seen as portable then, today laptops are viewed as bulky and inconvenient when compared to smart phones and tablets.
Laptops can also be a real pain in the neck when it comes to completing basic tasks, such as opening a video or loading a website. On a tablet, however, you can do both of those things by simply touching the screen, no dragging or double-clicking required. It is this convenience which the 2-in-1 laptop boasts over more traditional alternatives.
While you will be able to tackle the many major projects laptops are most suited for, you will also be able to enjoy content on Netflix and YouTube with one swoop of your finger, whether you’re at home, in a cafe, or trying to pass the time on a flight.
2-in-1 Laptops versus Tablets
When the tablet was first introduced, many people believed it to be the next step in the evolution of the laptop. Of course, they very quickly came to realize the average tablet, while impressive in a great many areas, was not suited to many of the tasks which the typical laptop user takes on in a day.
The tablet is largely a leisure device, which means it cannot be used to complete a several thousand word essay or to craft a spreadsheet or financial plan, which is why iPads and similar tools are very much unsuited to college students and professionals.
A 2-in-1 laptop offers all the perks of a tablet, some of which we covered in the previous section, while eradicating a great deal of the cons. While there are a number of differences between a 2-in-1 laptop and a tablet, the most obvious comes in the form of a keyboard.
If you purchase a tablet with the intention of pairing it with a keyboard, you will have to resign yourself to spending another $50 at least in order to get a reliable model which won’t malfunction or run out of battery after a couple thousand words.
A 2-in-1 laptop, however, comes with a keyboard attached, one which can be positioned according to your personal preferences and whatever function you need the device itself to perform.
Back to Top of Top Rated 2-in-1 Laptops
More from Tech4Trek
- Laptops Comparable to MacBook Pro
- Best Touch Screen Laptops Under $500
- Best Travel Camera Under $200
- What Electric Adapters and Converters Do I Need?
Back to Top of Top Rated 2-in-1 Laptops