With their Lenovo ThinkPad T480 Laptop Computer Review, Lenovo seems to have found good equity across all the main features you’d want in a laptop, such as RAM, GB, sound quality, processor speed, connectivity ports and more. If the 2-in-1 laptop you choose is going to become a staple of your work arsenal, be sure to go with a model primarily intended for professional settings. Lenovo 2-in-1 laptops in the ThinkPad T series are often chosen by professionals as they can run full versions of Microsoft Office and other similar software and applications. One of the most outstanding features, of all Lenovo machines, besides their durability and longetivity, are their customization options. Even on Amazon, you have can choose from 256GB up to 1TB SSD and 8-24GB RAM. Lenovo lets you be in control of your machine, unlike other manufacturers who think you are only capable of choosing your laptop’s color.
- Processor: Intel Quad Core i5-8250U (1.60GHz - 3.40GHz, 6MB Cache)
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit; Features: 8GB RAM, 250GB Solid State Drive, Fingerprint Reader and BT
- Display: 14" HD, 1366x768 LED Display; Graphics Card: Intel UHD Graphics 620
- Warrranty: 1 Year Lenovo Warranty \ 1 Year Oemgenuine Warranty
- Hard Drive & Memory Upgrade | *View Product Description for more details
- Memory: 16GB DDR4 RAM , Storage: Toshiba 256B PCIe NVMe 2242 M.2 SSD (Seal is broken for upgrades Only, Professional Installation Service included)
- 8th Generation Intel Quad Core i5-8250U 1.60 GHz Processor (Max Turbo 3.40 GHz, 4 cores 8 threads, 6MB SmartCache)
- 14-Inch HD (1366x768), anti-glare, LED backlight, 220 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 400:1 contrast ratio| Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620: Supports external digital monitor via HDMI or USB Type-C; Supports three independent displays; Max resolution 4k: [email protected] (USB Type-C); [email protected] (HDMI)
- Intel Wireless 8265ac (2x2) + Bluetooth v4.1 | FingerPrint Reader | HD 720p Webcam
- Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Ideal for Home, Student Professionals, Small business, School Education
Pros Lenovo ThinkPad T480 Laptop Computer
- 256 GB SSD Drive (can upgrade this to 1TB)
- Fast Intel i5 processor
- Excellent sound quality
- Good array of connectivity ports
- 8GB RAM
Cons Lenovo ThinkPad T480 Laptop Computer
- Keyboard is not backlit
- Display colors no better than average
Back to Top of Lenovo ThinkPad T480 Laptop Computer Review
Let’s start with the main memory drive, and straight away point out it is an SSD which means fewer moving parts inside your laptop to go faulty, and more importantly, SDD drives are significantly faster than HDD drives.
The main drive capacity is 256 GB which may not be the 1 TB some of the top-rated laptops have, but it should still be adequate for normal laptop use. Bear in mind, you also have the ever-increasing availability of very affordable and secure cloud storage services if you ever need to store larger files.
Besides, 256 GB could store over 3,000 hours of video, or 64,000 images, or 57,000 music tracks, so it will still likely be more than enough for most users.
The processor in this Lenovo laptop is an Intel Core i5-8350U, which is supported by 8 GB of RAM. What all this means in terms of performance in a laptop is that users have the ability to have multiple website browser tabs open at the same time, be downloading in the background, while working on one or more documents. You also might want to listen to music at the same time, and the laptop will still cope with it.
While all this work is happening there will be no freezing or watching timers counting down or spinning on your screen. On testing, this processor is often quicker at certain tasks than some processors which are a newer generation, in terms of their technology.
You’ll find the images and colors the display screen is able to produce are more than good enough for normal use, watching movies, and surfing websites. Where it may fall short are for those users who are into playing highly visual games and need the biggest and best color graphics possible. This laptop is not going to reach that level, nor is it designed to.
What its 1920 x 1080 HD screen can give you, is a matte surface which reduces reflection, so using your laptop outdoors doesn’t involve spending half your time trying to find a shaded spot. It also has a 14″ screen, so it finds a sweet spot for those who do not want one of the bigger 15″+ screens, but also want a bigger screen than most tablets have.
This is something which can often come down to how you use your laptop. If you are working on it with documents and send the occasional email, you will get a lot more life than if you were to stream movies all day. However, on average, the battery should last around 8 hours, which for most people is going to be enough to last them between opportunities to charge it up again.
If you love this laptop but need more than 8 hours usage from the battery there is a solution. Lenovo produces a six-cell version of the battery (the default one is three cell) which provides an astonishing 17 hours of use between charges. They are relatively inexpensive and if you purchase one, you could always carry the original with you as a backup, meaning you have over 24 hours of continuous use between them.
Most people listen to their laptop with earphones, so the quality of the speakers may not always be a top priority, but nevertheless, they should still be considered. Laptop speakers tend to produce a sound which is described as ‘tinny,’ but when listening to music or movies with the Lenovo that was absent.
This could be a result of the Dolby audio software which allows you to set it for different sound types such as speech, music or movies. The software is so advanced it will automatically adjust the profiles depending on the software you are using at the time.
If you are using a microphone to record your voice or are speaking to someone via a VOIP service such as Skype, then the Dolby software can filter out extraneous sounds like your mouse being clicked or the keys on your keyboard, if you are typing while talking.
Laptops are not always used in isolation and there will be many occasions when you need to connect it to something else. This is when you need to have enough connectivity ports, and more importantly the right ones. Thankfully, you should not find any issues connecting to external devices as the laptop has the following available for use:
- Headphone/microphone jack
- Two USB 3.0 ports
- Ethernet port
- HDMI video port
- SD memory card slot
It also has Bluetooth connectivity for those of you with wireless devices.
The dimensions of this Lenovo laptop are 13.25 x 9.15 x 0.9 inches, so it is certainly very thin, and therefore portable in terms of placing it in a laptop bag, backpack or briefcase. Unfortunately, it is not the lightest laptop you ware ever likely to carry as it weighs 3.5 lbs.
Its appearance follows its predecessors with black being the predominant color, and the exterior shell having a matte finish. The soft-touch lid has the ‘Think Pad’ logo so you know exactly what it is, as if you needed reminding.
Back to Top of Lenovo ThinkPad T480 Laptop Computer Review
When looking for a laptop, it can be difficult to find one where you get the correct balance across all the features you desire. Many laptops excel with one specification or features, but then fall well short with one or more of the others. Our review goes through these features in more detail, such as memory, display and battery life, to let you decide for yourself if they get the balance just right or not.
We said in the intro some laptops hit top marks in one specification, but at the price of falling behind in others. That is not something the Lenovo ThinkPad T480 Laptop can be accused of. It isn’t top of the class for any of its specifications, although if you were to buy and use the 17 hours, six-cell, battery it might.
However, what it does have is good to high specifications across all the features you would be looking for in a laptop. It might not make the headlines for any one of them, but for just about every single attribute it will meet the demands of most users.
Back to Top of Lenovo ThinkPad T480 Laptop Computer Review
Lenovo ThinkPad T480 Laptop Computer Review
Back to Top of Dell Inspiron 13 5000 2 in 1 13.3 Inch Full HD Touchscreen
Compare Top Rated 2-in-1 Laptops
Lenovo ThinkPad T480p - Best Laptop for Work
Lenovo ThinkPad T480 - If the 2-in-1 laptop you choose is going to become a staple of your work arsenal, be sure to go with a model primarily intended for professional settings. Take Lenovo, for example. 2-in-1 laptops in the brand’s ThinkPad T series are often chosen by professionals as they can run full versions of Microsoft Office and other similar software and applications.
The Lenovo ThinkPad T480p is particularly popular in offices owing to its Solid-State Drive - which performs up to three times faster than its more common counterparts - its 12.5-hour battery life, and its Windows 10 Pro operating system.
One thing to note about the Lenovo ThinkPad T480p, and, indeed, the majority of ThinkPads, is their cost, so be sure to consult your budget before making a purchase. Masses of Lenovo product owners, myself included, swear by their Thinkpads and, unlike other popular and expensive brands, will easily last you five years or more with minimal maintenance and upkeep. A Lenovo product is an investment, for sure, but often delivers a strong ROI over time.
- Full Review: Lenovo ThinkPad T480
Want the beast of all 2-in-1 laptops? Check out my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (below), which I take around the world. All my Apple friends are constantly plugged in and looking for outlets, while I can sit at the beach for almost 4 hours uplugged, enjoying my 1 TB of Solid State Hard Drive and 16 GB Ram. My last Thinkpad lasted 5 years and was in perfect condition when I got this new one. The only reason I splurged on a new one was because I didn't want to jet set the world for a year or more with a 5 year old laptop.
- VOTED BEST LAPTOP AT CES 2018: The ThinkPad laptop computer includes robust security features, like ThinkShutter, which covers the front-facing HD webcam, and match-on-chip fingerprint readers with anti-spoofing technology that helps to safeguard company data while featuring a more secure way to authenticate log-in credentials.
- 2 in 1 LAPTOP: The innovative Rise and Fall Keyboard on the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga adapts to you; when you fold it into Laptop Mode, the keys rise so you can easily create a spreadsheet or write a report, then when you fold it into itself for Tablet Mode, the keys recess and lock. Y
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga is equipped with the new 8th generation Intel Quad Core processor, plus ultra fast memory with LPDDR3 to keep you productive wherever you are.
- LONG LASTING BATTERY: Lenovo ThinkPad laptop delivers up to 15 hours of battery life, plus if you’re running low, the RapidCharge technology provides 80% capacity in just an hour. So a 60-minute lunch break or a layover can easily boost your battery up to 12 hours.
- DURABLE DESIGN: Tested against 12 military-grade requirements and passing more than 200 quality checks, this laptop computer is designed to withstand work, travel, fun, and anything else you can throw at it.
Acer Aspire R15 - Best for Gamers
Acer Aspire R15 - Gamers tend to look down on tablets and 2-in-1 laptops as they believe such devices lack the speed and clarity necessary for them to fully experience their games. While it is true the majority of 2-in-1 laptops are not cut out for use by dedicated gamers, there are a number of models which were designed with gamers in mind, one of the most popular being the Aspire R15 from Acer.
The Acer Aspire R15 boasts NVIDIA GeForce 940MX graphics for an immersive gaming experience no matter where you are. It also promises superior audio quality, which is made possible by its dual built-in speakers and internal subwoofer.
- Full Review: Acer Aspire 15 Inch 2 in 1 Laptop
Dell Inspiron 13 5000 - Best for Streaming and Entertainment
Dell Inspiron 13 5000 - In many ways, the Dell Inspiron 13 5000 is the middle ground between a 2-in-1 laptop which was intended for business and a 2-in-1 laptop which was intended for leisure. The backlit keyboard allows the user to tackle essays and reports, although some have reported its keys being a little too stiff for it to be of much use when taking on anything that extends beyond a couple thousand words.
Its 1920 x 1080 screen may not make for the most authentic gaming experience, but it does allow the user to stream their favorite movies and television shows with vivid colors and near-perfect clarity. This is arguably the ideal 2-in-1 laptop for those who aren’t particularly enthusiastic about technology and are simply searching for a sturdy laptop which they can rely on to perform rudimentary tasks on the road and in the office.
HP 15.6 Inch HD Touchscreen Laptop - Best for Affordability
HP 15.6 Inch HD Touchscreen Laptop - Give some consideration to the HP 15T Touch, if you’re looking for a 2-in-1 laptop but don’t have the budget to purchase something like the Dell Inspiron 13 5000 or the Acer Aspire R15. The HP 15T Touch is a touchscreen laptop which can be purchased for less than $500, arguably making it the perfect introduction to 2-in-1 laptops.
Despite its low price tag, the 15T Touch boosts many of the features one would expect to find on its more expensive alternatives, such as a responsive touchscreen, a wide array of pre-installed apps, and a selection of ports.
- Full Review: HP 15.6 Inch HD Touchscreen Laptop
Laptops 2 in 1 Amazon Best Sellers
- With a 1920 x 1080 Full HD touch screen Display and the powerful and efficient AMD Ryzen 5 3500U mobile Processor, you can work, stream, and game for hours, along with Radeon Vega 8 for fast video and photo editing. Includes HDMI, USB-C, and USB 3.1 inputs
- Comprehensive, built-in, ongoing protection with Windows 10 helps protect you against viruses, malware, and ransomware
- Convenient true block privacy shutter allows you to physically close your PC's webcam whenever you're not using it
- With the included active Pen, you can draw or take notes directly on the screen, anywhere you go
- Up to 10 hours of battery life with recharge Technology to power your laptop computer up to 80% in just one hour
- 14.0-inch HD (1366 x 768) LED-Backlit Touch Display, Intel UHD Graphics 620
- 8th Generation Intel Core i3-8145U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)
- 128GB Solid State Drive, 4GB 1x4GB DDR4 2666MHz
- SD card | USB 3.1 Gen 1 | Security cable slot | Power | HDMI 1.4b | USB 3.1 Gen 1 | USB 3.1 Gen 1 | Universal audio jack
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit English, 0.78" thin, Weight: 3.88lb (1.76kg)
- Powerful & efficient Intel Celeron N4000 1.1GHz (Turbo up to 2.6GHz); 64 eMMC storage, 4GB LPDDR4
- Featuring Windows 10 in S mode operating System with 1 year of office 365 included; Webcam: VGA Camera
- 14" Glossy screen with a Nano Edge FHD display with Wide view technology and a touchscreen with up to 178° viewing angle optimized for entertainment
- 13” wide, 0. 6” thin with 0. 3” bezel for a stunning 73% screen-to-body ratio; aluminum chassis and lightweight at 3. 3 pounds.
- Portable and convertible 2 in 1 laptop with four viewing modes: tablet, tent, stand, and laptop.