How to travel safely with cash is one of the most important challenges all travelers must master. You want just enough on you to be safe at all times, but not enough to make you a target for criminals. Although we live in an increasingly card-friendly world, there are still many very good reasons to carry cash when you travel. Carrying cash, and keeping it on your person, has important benefits cards cannot accomplish. For example:
- Depending on the country or region, small shops, taxis, or public transport cannot be paid for with cards
- Cash can be used even in the event of a power outage or computer problem
- Depending on your bank, you may encounter daily limits or security authorizations which temporarily lock your card and prevent you from using it
- Cash is usually the best, and sometimes the only, way to give tips, buy items from street vendors, show appreciation for buskers or innumerable other small transactions.
- Cash is a good way to track and manage budgets and make sure you don’t overspend
For these reasons, it’s always a good idea to have at least some cash on you when you travel.
However, traveling with cash also poses additional risks. Some thieves and hustlers specifically target travelers because they expect that they will be carrying cash, and wallets and purses can accidentally be misplaced or lost to snatchers and pickpockets. Unlike digital currency, when cash is gone, it is gone, and being far from home without money can be an unpleasant situation.
Here are our top tips for how to travel safely with cash.
Use a Money Belt
A money belt is a belt with a concealed pouch where you can carry cash and/or your most important documents, like your passport. Some money belts are literally belts, with zippered compartments on the inside, which look exactly like traditional belts on the outside, and are worn just like any other belt. Some money belts are waist bands with pockets attached, that are designed to go around your waist but under your clothes. Fitted properly and worn properly, they are difficult to see, and a secure way to keep your most essential items on you at all times.
Money belts are more discrete than fanny packs, and keep your money close without drawing the attention of thieves and pickpockets. Also, a pickpocket will find it difficult to discretely rummage around inside your clothes to steal your money without your knowledge. However, in some countries, thieves will hold up tourists and search them for a money belt, because they have become such popular and widely known travel accessories.
Top Money Belt Picks on Amazon
- WHY IS THIS TRAVEL BELT UNIQUE? Unlike similar products, the Zero Grid Travel Security Belt is TSA approved and travel-friendly and features a new and improved buckle design with Travel Safety Lock Technology, ensuring the buckle, when closed, remains securely fastened.
- KEEP YOUR CASH SAFE FROM PICKPOCKETS - Equipped with an easy-to-use hidden zippered security pouch. This hidden money belt for travel conceals spare currency, a passport COPY, and small travel accessories from thieves. Fully adjustable anti-theft belt for Men and Women, fits waist sizes 26” - 42”. DOES NOT FIT CREDIT CARDS OR PASSPORTS.
- BONUS #1** - EXCLUSIVE $300 TRIP ASSURANCE: In the event items are stolen from this travel security belt, we will reimburse you up to $300. This hidden travel wallet gives you complete Peace of Mind for your upcoming Trip!
- BONUS #2 ** GLOBAL LOST & FOUND TAGS - Each Zero Grid Travel Money Belt includes 2 Recovery Tags from ReturnMe, the world’s largest lost & found company. Stick these on your phone, laptop, camera, passport, etc and their 24/7 call center will help return lost items from anywhere in the world. By purchasing this pickpocket proof wallet from Zero Grid, this service is FREE for life.
- GIFTABLE! Makes a Great Gift for loved ones who travel or for everyday use.
- USA Tanned English Bridle Leather
- 1.5" Wide, Nylon Stitching, and 7 Holes spaced approx. 1" apart
- Chicago Screws Allow for Changable Buckle
- Approx 3/16" Thick (Thicker than Department Store Belts) - High Grade Leather Polished Finish
- 25" Jamb Proof Zipper, Hidden Pocket for Money, Holds Up to 24 Bills Folded the Narrow Way
- Money Belt for Travel - RFID Money belt for Travel (size: 10 x 5.2 x 0.2 with long adjustable elastic strep), Comes with a set of Six RFID blocking sleeves for Credit Cards and One for Passport, Great for Daily Use
- ULTIMATE GIFT FOR TRAVELERS - Are your Parents, Brothers, or your best friends planning to travel? Give them this money pouch and practical gift which will protect them
- NO MORE CONCERNS NEXT TIME YOU VISIT THE AIRPORT - With Our hidden waist Money belt, you will feel zero stress, hands-free, and comfortable
- NOT ONLY FULL IDENTITY THEFT PROTECTION - Now you have enough place to store and hide your belongings like your iPhone, Keys, Money, Credit cards, Documents, Passport and more
- BUY CONFIDENTLY with our 100% Money Back Guarantee - If you are not satisfied with our product for any reason, you will receive a full refund with no questions asked and hassle-free.
- ✅Durable Materials - We use the finest material for our waist pouch belts, Never worry about it tearing or breaking while traveling. Machine washable, Wash in warm water, hang dry or use dryer on low setting.
- ✅Hidden & Convenient - Supper slim Money belt with Two zippered compartments, three perfect-fit individual pockets, secure solution to keep your peronal ID, credit cards, passports, money, smart phones and other valuables safely hidden under clothes.
- ✅Superior Quality - Durable and lightweight nylon ripstop, resists water, odors, shrinking, adjustable strap, soft breathable padded mesh backside make it more than comfortable to wear, prevent build up of sweat and moisture.
- ✅Slim Lightweight & Hidden Security - Keep your valuables away from the sight and reach of thieves and incredibly convenient to carry with you when travelling. Grab yours now and rest assured you are travelling with safety!
- ✅100% Satisfaction Guarantee - If for any reason you are not satisfied with our product you will receive a full refund no questions asked and hassle free.
- SECURED 4 WIDE POCKETS. NEW CONCEALED ZIPPER POCKET ALL COLORS. Pockets load from the top with pickpocket proof fold over locking flap to secure items. StashBandz Unisex Workout - Travel Belt Fits iPhones and any size cell phone vertical or horizontal passport holder ID money keys flask holder glasses travel wallet insulin pump holder and more.
- MADE IN AMERICA TOP QUALITY. All-in-one fashion sporting and travel accessory. A fanny pack insulin pump belt running waist pack and money belt for safe travel. See far left photo for best size.
- DOUBLE THE WIDTH of other running or sport waist packs. Tubular stretch Spandex hip belt 6 inches high with four 8 inch wide pockets. Vertical stretch 7 inches high to accommodate all X-large cell phones and smartphones in your belt bag. Has one hidden zipper pouch.
- HIGHEST QUALITY FABRIC soft but durable. Moisture wicking soaks up sweat keeps the body cool phones bacteria free. Stays put for runners with no chafing or bouncing. Non-bulky slimming comfort hides a muffin top. Discreet small logo.
- WICKING, ANTI-BACTERIA MAX-DRY SPANDEX FABRIC Stays put for runners and active users with no rubbing, chafing, or bouncing. USA made, USA Patent, USA designed, USA shipped and USA warranty.
- ▶KEEP YOUR CASH SAFE FROM PICKPOCKETS - Equipped with an easy-to-use hidden zippered security pocket. Safely conceals spare currency and some important travel documents from thieves.
- ▶EASY ACCESS & STORAGE -Extra-wide hidden pouch help you access easier.Our belt is spacious enough to store bills with a SINGLE fold. Quickly stash and remove your bills with ease.
- ▶Unisex style money belt men nylon belt is suitable for Men and Women. Fits pant sizes 26"-40".Total length of this belt is 125CM/49.2",width of strap is 3.8CM/1.5".
- ▶FULLY ADJUSTABLE, REMOVABLE BUCKLE - Hide money for traveling belt is made of high quality soft nylon webbing and thicken YKK plastic buckle. Provides you with a hassle-free airport security experience.And you can easy to change another buckle and becomes another style belt.
- ▶DESIGNED FOR SAFE INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL - Airport Safe & Invaluable for any trip. Always be prepared for unexpected events during your travels.
Keep Your Cards and Cash Separate
If you are traveling to areas with markets, small shops and lots of potential for theft, keep cash in a totally separate wallet or pouch than your cards. When I’m at a flea market, I only take out my cash and my cards are buried under multiple zippers. This way, I can take out cash to pay for that trinket, scarf, street food or tuk-tuk ride, but I only use my cards inside establishments like hotels or restaurants. I keep my cash in a really ugly wallet, not a fancy leather anything. If I lose $50-$100 in cash, it sucks, but won’t break me. If I lose a wallet full of credit cards while overseas? That’s a nightmare I can live without.
Divide Your Money
The downside of a money belt is many travelers begin rummaging around in their clothes when they need to pay for something. Not only is it physically inconvenient, but it lets everyone around you know that you are wearing a money belt. Traveling safely with cash, money belt or not, means dividing your money and concealing the presence of a money belt.
For example, if you have several days’ worth of cash with you, keep most of it in your hotel safe. Keep a larger amount (say, $100) in a money belt, or in a shoe, or other discrete place on your person. And keep $20 in your wallet, purse, or pocketbook as normal, to pay for your smaller transactions as they occur. If you need to take money from your belt and put it in your wallet, do so in a restroom or other private place where no one can see.
Note on hotel safes: If there is a safe in your hotel room, test it by opening it, closing it, locking it, and unlocking it again before you put anything of value inside. Try a few different ways to open it without unlocking it. Some travelers have found, to their dismay, their hotel safe can easily be opened even when locked, and a defective hotel safe can be a huge problem. If your hotel room does not have a safe, do not leave large amounts of cash in your room. While most hotel staff are honorable people who would not steal from you, it can and does happen. And most hotels do not protect guests from theft.
There are many advantages to dividing your money:
- Keeping most of your money in a safe helps you stay on a daily budget and not overspend
- It keeps small amounts of cash quick and handy for tips, postcards, bus fare, etc., without requiring slow and embarrassing rummaging around in a money belt
- It keeps your money belt discrete, so people don’t know you are wearing it
- If you open your wallet and people can see inside, it doesn’t look like you are carrying large amounts of cash, which makes you less of a target
- It gives you a convenient place to put and use small change which you may need over the course of the day
- Dividing your money also reduces your risk. If you are pick-pocketed or ripped off, there is a greater chance they will get some, but not all, of your cash
Use a Decoy Wallet to Hide Cash While Travelling
Use a decoy wallet. If you are in a particularly crime-prone place, it’s smart to carry a decoy wallet or pocketbook. If anyone tries to rob you, give them the decoy, and they may leave without getting your real cash supply, which is still secured somewhere else safely on your person.
If you are going to create a decoy wallet, make it persuasive. Don’t just get a cheap wallet and put a couple bucks cash in it. Add one or two old, cancelled credit cards, or expired gift cards, a few business cards, a condom… make sure it looks like a “real” wallet on quick inspection, or you won’t fool your thief.
Cash is still the universal language, where ever you may go, but it’s important to keep it safe and keep yourself safe while you travel. Follow these tips to protect yourself and prevent travel disasters.
Back to Top of How to Travel Safely with Cash
More from Tech4Trek
- What Electric Adapters and Converters Do I Need?
- Traveling by Yourself for the First Time
- Travel Health Insurance for Digital Nomads
Back to Top of How to Travel Safely with Cash