Knowing how to choose a power bank for your phone is an important step when just leaving the house for a day, much less planning a long or overseas journey. As overseas travelers are focused on connectivity more than ever before, a reliable, affordable power bank is a must-have for anyone setting out to explore faraway lands.
As you explore the various options for power banks, here are some key questions to consider when choosing a phone power bank:
- How many devices will need a portable charge during your travel?
- How often do you expect to be away from easily accessible power sources?
- How long do you need a charge to last on your devices?
- Are there weight limitations involved with your baggage (for example, will you be hiking and carrying heavy gear and equipment during your travels)?
- Do you have older devices that might present compatibility issues?
- What is your budget?
Back to Top of How to Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone
About How to Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone
First, we’ll begin by explaining how a power bank works. A portable power bank stores electrical energy supplied by an outlet and allows you to “deposit” that energy later into a mobile device. Power banks have to be charged, sometimes for a considerable period of time, but will store enough electrical energy to fully power a device several times over. It should be noted that power banks will always experience loss due to resistance, so the full capacity of the power bank is not transferred to the device, and this is a factor when we calculate and estimate how many times a particular device can be charged. Additionally, the lower the charge on your device, the more the portable power bank has to work to recharge it. So, ideally, you do not want to wait until the device is fully depleted of battery life before using a portable power bank.
Almost any device that is USB charged can be used with a portable power bank provided you remember to keep the power bank charged! It is best to remove the power bank from the charge as soon as it is full and most have an LED indicator to display full capacity. Some come with an “auto cutoff” feature as well.
When deciding how to choose a power bank for your phone, check your devices for their battery capacity, which is measured in milliamp hours (mAh). As long as your portable power bank exceeds the mAh number on the device, you will get a full charge out if it, if not several. Be sure to consider if you plan to charge multiple devices. If this is the case, you will need a portable power bank with more than one output to charge the devices simultaneously. Obviously, these models can be more expensive, but they can also save precious time during travel.
You will also need to check compatibility with the portable power banks to make sure your devices are included or you can compare its specs to your existing charger. You do not want to find out in the midst of travel that your cable and the power bank produce a very slow charge. Additionally, the output voltage of the power bank should be equal to or higher than your device.
A general guideline for the charge provided by varying mAh batteries is as follows:
- 1500 mAh: typically one full charge of a cell phone
- 5200 mAh: typically two full charges of a cell phone and a tablet to 50%
- 10000 mAh: typically four full charges of a cell phone and a tablet to 100%
Higher mAh units are available as well. These will be more expensive options, but possibly beneficial to those with numerous devices to charge during travel.
Environmental conditions can affect the lifespan of a portable power bank and you should keep this in mind as you decide to invest in one. For example, if you plan to travel for long periods of time in extreme weather conditions, this may have an impact on the long-term durability of the power bank you choose.
Recommended Phone Power Banks & Portable Chargers
A few recommended portable power banks for travelers and some of their key features are outlined below and at Best Power Banks for Your Phone.
Anker PowerCore 20100 Portable Charger
The Anker PowerCore intelligently identifies connected devices and can charge the iPhone 6s up to seven times, the Galaxy S6 up to five times, or the iPad mini 4 twice. Weighs 12.56 ounces and can simultaneously charge two devices. Comes with a portable charger, a Micro USB cable, a convenient and protective travel pouch, a welcome guide, and an 18-month warranty for users.
Read our review: Anker PowerCore 20100 Portable Charger Review
- The Anker Advantage：Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Ultra-High Capacity：Weighs as little as a can of soup (12.5 oz) yet charges the iPhone 8 almost seven times, the Galaxy S8 five times or the iPad mini 4 twice.
- High-Speed Charging：PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to deliver the fastest possible charge (does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge). Recharges itself in 10 hours with a 2 amp charger, phone chargers (generally 1 amp) may take up to 20 hours.
- Certified Safe：Anker's MultiProtect safety system and high-quality LG battery cells ensure complete protection for you and your devices.
- What You Get：Anker PowerCore 20100 Portable Charger, Micro USB cable, travel pouch, welcome guide, our fan-favorite 18-month warranty and friendly customer service. USB-C cable and Lightning cable for iPhone/ iPad sold separately.
Hokonui Wireless Portable Charger
Hokonui Wireless Portable Charger is a top Amazon choice with rave reviews by most customers, many of whom claim it is the best portable charger they've ever used. Charge up to 4 Devices at once, supports fast charging on phones with the feature, charges itself quickly, in 4-5 hours, which is super fast compared to most other portable batteries.
Read our review: Hokonui Wireless Portable Charger
- Strong Compatiblity: Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, Galaxy Note 5, S6, S6 Edge, S7, S7 Edge, S8, S8 plus,and all the qi enabled devices. Also with 2 USB ports which means you can charge 3 devices at the same time.
- Exclusive FAST Wireless Charging Our battery pack has gone through experienced strict charging tests to ensure the safety and speed of charging. It can provide wireless charging for iPhone X/8/8 Plus/Xu/Xu up to 7. 5W output Max. and gets boosted to a blazing-fast 10W for Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+/Note 8/S8/S8+/S7/S7 edge/S6 edge+/Note 5 and any Qi-enabled phones. Note:press the power button twice to start wireless charging.
- Convenient and Portable: 3 in 1 (Lightning + 2 Micro USB）design, indoor or outdoor there is no need to carry many cables, and the Led digital display will clearly tell you how much power left.
- Smart and Safe: Stop charging when the device is full charged, prevent over-charging, overheat,short circuit and extend the service life of your phone. Non-slip design, with a phone holder,U can using the holder when charging.
- 1 Year Time Warranty: 12 months quality assurance, New Replacement or Refund without Return in 30 days. We are committed to improving product quality and reducing product defects. If there is any quality problem, please feel free to contact us, we will do our best to providing you a pleasant shopping experience.
Kuppet Wireless Charger Power Bank
The KUPPET 2-in-1 Wireless Charger and Power Bank supports charging up to 3 three devices at once wirelessly or through Type-C USB or micro USB inputs. Total capacity of 20,000 mAh, which allows it to fully charge the average smartphone battery in a fraction of the time of most competing products in addition to a self charging time of almost half that of similar products.
Read our review: Kuppet Wireless Charger Power Bank
Amazon Portable Phone Charger Best Sellers
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Remarkably Compact: One of the smallest and lightest 10000mAh portable charger. Provides almost three-and-a-half iPhone 8 charges or two-and-a-half Galaxy S8 charges.
- High-Speed Charging: Anker's exclusive PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to deliver the fastest possible charge for any device. Qualcomm Quick Charge not supported.
- Certified Safe: Anker's MultiProtect safety system ensures complete protection for you and your devices.
- What You Get: Anker PowerCore 10000 portable charger, Micro USB cable, travel pouch, welcome guide, our worry-free 18-month warranty and friendly customer service. USB-C and Lightning cable for iPhone / iPad sold separately.
- 【2-Pack 10000mAh Power Bank】Two 10000mAh battery packs not only for portable charging but also around the home. Allowing you charge mobile devices without having to be tethered to a plug socket. Each of them fully charges 2.4 times for iPhone X, 3.6 times for iPhone 8 and 2.2 times for Samsung Galaxy S9.
- 【Dual Output & Input】Each has 2 USB output ports that detect all the connected devices and efficiently distributes the current output up to 5V 2.1A. The USB C and Micro USB port allows you to fully refill the battery in 5 hrs at 5V 2.0A.
- 【Reliable Li-polymer Cell】Thanks to the Li-polymer battery pack, the charger is much safer than any Li-ion charger. Also, it's lighter and slimer that you can easily carry it around, even on airplanes.
- 【Small & Slim】It feels incredibly compact for a 10000mAh power bank, weighing just 218g and only 14mm thick. Grippy design is easy to hold, easy to toss into a bag and incredibly portable.
- 【What You Get】2 * Miady 10000mAh USB Portable Charger (White & Black); 2 * USB Cable; 1 * User Manual. We provide 24*7 friendly customer support and also back our products for 18 months. Please feel free to contact us.
- #1 Compact and high-speed power bank powered by INIU Leading technology.
- 【Dual 3A High-speed Outputs】3A max outputs with INIU extraordinary Smart IC technology combined, fast fuel your phone in 1.5-2h. Two USB ports enable you to charge 2 devices simultaneously.
- 【Remarkably Compact with Powerful Capacity】Handy Phone-sized 10000mAh portable charger powerfully deliver 3.6 charges to iPhone 8, 2.3 to the Galaxy S8, or 1.0 to iPad mini, perfect for travelling, business, school etc.
- 【Creative USB Type C & Micro Inputs】Completely flexible to recharge the powerbank via either Type C or Micro USB input, bring you more convenience. (only Micro USB cable included to charge the bank)
- 【Extra Cool LED Light】Simply double click the power button to turns on/off the flashlight. Really helpful design for dark or low-light environments.
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by America's leading USB charging brand.
- High Capacity: Contains 5000 mAh of power. Enough to provide over an entire replacement charge for iPhone X and Samsung Galaxy S9, or almost 2 charges for iPhone 8.
- Ultra-Compact: Remarkably small, tubular design slides easily next to your phone in any pocket or bag. Just 10cm tall and 3cm wide.
- High-Speed Charging: Equipped with exclusive PowerIQ technology, it provides the fastest possible charge to any phone or tablet (up to 2A). Does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge.
- What You Get: PowerCore 5000, travel pouch, Micro-USB cable, welcome guide, our worry-free 18-month warranty and friendly customer service. USB-C cable and Lightning cable for iPhone and iPad sold separately.
- 2019 latest design portable charger with 25800mAh ultra-huge capacity adopts our advanced intelligent controlling IC higher quality safer and more reliable powerful and longer-lasting life after 100% checked and continuous aging Test
- Universal compatibility -- the power bank supports iPhone iPad iWatch AirPods Samsung Galaxy most other smart cell phones tablets Bluetooth devices and more It can charge 6 to 8 times to eliminate the anxiety of your battery exhaustion Suit for travel and Other indoor outdoor activities
- Dual USB charging & Fast recharge -- the dual USB ports (2 1A+1a) to charge your two devices simultaneously fully recharges itself in 8 12 hours with 2 1a Input charger or 12-24 hours with 1a charger
- 4 LED Lights & Certified Safe -- Four led lights show the current remaining power of the item(25% 50% 75% 100%) easily press the power button to turn it on or off Built-in smart protection system the USB battery pack ensures complete protection for you
- 24 Months -- Ekrist 25800mAh portable battery charger Micro USB cables user manuals Together with 45 days money back 2 years and friendly easy-to-reach support!
Back to Top of How to Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone
Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone
Staying in touch with friends, family or work at home is a must for many globetrotters. Technology allows us to keep our loved ones connected to our journeys and we can share thrilling moments as they happen, thanks to smartphones and tablets. Since a smartphone or tablet is only as good as its battery life in many remote locations, where power outlets aren’t readily available for a quick charge, consider learning how to choose a power bank for your phone.
Back to Top of How to Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone