Knowing how to choose a power bank for your phone is an important step when just leaving the house for a day, much less planning a long or overseas journey. As overseas travelers are focused on connectivity more than ever before, a reliable, affordable power bank is a must-have for anyone setting out to explore faraway lands.
As you explore the various options for power banks, here are some key questions to consider when choosing a phone power bank:
- How many devices will need a portable charge? How many ports do you need?
- Do you want a device compatible with your phones fast charge capabilities?
- Wireless, cord, or both charging?
- How often do you expect to be away from easily accessible power sources?
- Are there weight limitations involved with your baggage (for example, will you be hiking and carrying heavy gear and equipment during your travels)?
- Do you have older devices that might present compatibility issues?
- What is your budget?
Back to Top of How to Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone
About How to Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone
First, we’ll begin by explaining how a power bank works. A portable power bank stores electrical energy supplied by an outlet and allows you to “deposit” that energy later into a mobile device. Power banks have to be charged, sometimes for a considerable period of time, but will store enough electrical energy to fully power a device several times over. It should be noted that power banks will always experience loss due to resistance, so the full capacity of the power bank is not transferred to the device, and this is a factor when we calculate and estimate how many times a particular device can be charged. Additionally, the lower the charge on your device, the more the portable power bank has to work to recharge it. So, ideally, you do not want to wait until the device is fully depleted of battery life before using a portable power bank.
Almost any device that is USB charged can be used with a portable power bank provided you remember to keep the power bank charged! It is best to remove the power bank from the charge as soon as it is full and most have an LED indicator to display full capacity. Some come with an “auto cutoff” feature as well.
A general guideline for the charge provided by varying mAh batteries is as follows:
- 1500 mAh: typically one full charge of a cell phone
- 5200 mAh: typically two full charges of a cell phone and a tablet to 50%
- 10000 mAh: typically four full charges of a cell phone and a tablet to 100%
Higher mAh units are available as well. These will be more expensive options, but possibly beneficial to those with numerous devices to charge during travel.
Environmental conditions can affect the lifespan of a portable power bank and you should keep this in mind as you decide to invest in one. For example, if you plan to travel for long periods of time in extreme weather conditions, this may have an impact on the long-term durability of the power bank you choose.
When deciding how to choose a power bank for your phone, check your devices for their battery capacity, which is measured in milliamp hours (mAh). As long as your portable power bank exceeds the mAh number on the device, you will get a full charge out if it, if not several. Be sure to consider if you plan to charge multiple devices. If this is the case, you will need a portable power bank with more than one output to charge the devices simultaneously. Obviously, these models can be more expensive, but they can also save precious time during travel.
You will also need to check compatibility with the portable power banks to make sure your devices are included or you can compare its specs to your existing charger. You do not want to find out in the midst of travel that your cable and the power bank produce a very slow charge. Additionally, the output voltage of the power bank should be equal to or higher than your device.
Recommended Phone Power Banks & Portable Chargers
A few recommended portable power banks for travelers and some of their key features are outlined below and at Best Power Banks for Your Phone.
Anker PowerCore 20100 Portable Charger
The Anker PowerCore intelligently identifies connected devices and can charge the iPhone 6s up to seven times, the Galaxy S6 up to five times, or the iPad mini 4 twice. Weighs 12.56 ounces and can simultaneously charge two devices. Comes with a portable charger, a Micro USB cable, a convenient and protective travel pouch, a welcome guide, and an 18-month warranty for users.
Read our review: Anker PowerCore 20100 Portable Charger Review
- The Anker Advantage：Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Ultra-High Cell Capacity：Weighs as little as a can of soup (12.5 oz) yet charges the iPhone 8 almost seven times, the Galaxy S8 five times or the iPad mini 4 twice.
- High-Speed Charging：PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to deliver the fastest possible charge (does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge). Recharges itself in 10 hours with a 2 amp charger, phone chargers (generally 1 amp) may take up to 20 hours.
- Certified Safe：Anker's MultiProtect safety system and high-quality LG battery cells ensure complete protection for you and your devices.
- What You Get：Anker PowerCore 20100 Portable Charger, Micro USB cable, travel pouch, welcome guide, our fan-favorite 18-month warranty and friendly customer service. USB-C cable and Lightning cable for iPhone/ iPad sold separately.
Hokonui Wireless Portable Charger
Hokonui Wireless Portable Charger is a top Amazon choice with rave reviews by most customers, many of whom claim it is the best portable charger they've ever used. Charge up to 4 Devices at once, supports fast charging on phones with the feature, charges itself quickly, in 4-5 hours, which is super fast compared to most other portable batteries.
Read our review: Hokonui Wireless Portable Charger
- 3A Charging：Charge compatible devices at high speed with 5V 3A output(1*5V/3A Max QC 3.0 Output,1*5V/3A Max Power Delivery 3.0 Output),charge 4 devices simultaneously. Recharge your portable charger via USB-C input, Micro USB input and "Fruit" Input(for iPhone), no more extra usb cables you have to carry, charge your device and recharge the power bank just by using 1 usb cable.
- Large Capacity: 20000mAh of power charges iPhone XS Max almost 6 times, Samsung Galaxy S9 almost 5.5 times, iPad Mini at least 3.5 times and any other USB devices multiple times.
- Strong Compatiblity: Compatible with all 5V USB-powered devices including iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus/7/7Plus, Galaxy S9 Plus/S9/ S8 Plus/ S8, iPad, Nintendo Switch and other iOS and Android devices.
- Smart and Safe: Stop charging when the device is fully charged, prevent over-charging, over-heat,over-current,over-voltage,short circuit etc. to extend the service life of your phone. 4 LED indicator lights will show the remaining power and will let you know when you should recharge it or when it is fully recharged.
- 1 Year Time After-sale: 12 months quality after-sale. If there is any problem, please feel free to contact us, our professional customer service will reply all customer's emails within 12 hours to your total satisfaction.
Amazon Portable Phone Charger Best Sellers
- Quality Throughout:Built adventure-tier touch with superior durability and scratch resistance, PowerCore Slim 10000 is premium both inside and out.
- Slim Size, Big Power:One of the slimmest and lightest 10,000mAh portable chargers on the market. Provides 2.25 charges for iPhone 12, 1.6 charges for Galaxy S20 and 1.2 charges for iPad mini 5.
- Versatile Charging: Anker's exclusive PowerIQ and VoltageBoost technology combine to detect and deliver a tailored charge up to 12W, while the trickle-charging mode is the best way to charge low-power devices.
- Superior Safety:Anker’s comprehensive MultiProtect safety system includes overcharge protection, short circuit protection, temperature control, and more.
- What You Get: PowerCore Slim 10000 portable charger, Micro USB cable (USB-C cable and Lightning cable not included), travel pouch, welcome guide, lifetime* $25,000 connected equipment warranty, and friendly customer service. *For the purpose of this connected equipment warranty, "lifetime" is defined as the lifetime of the product.
- 10000mAh Capacity: This reliable pocket-sized power bank boasts a generous 10000mAh rechargeable battery with ultra-fast 2.4A charging ports, and a maximum 2.4A recharge rate. Use one pack and keep the other as a back-up
- Dual Input & Output: Equipped with dual inputs of Micro USB and Type-C, you can recharge your power bank more convenient using the included Type C cable or Micro USB cable. The dual outputs allow you to charge two devices simultaneously and four white LED lights indicate the devices current battery level
- Slim & Portable: One of the slimmest portable phone chargers on the market. Compact with a contemporary design, it will easily fit into your pocket or bag - perfect for the home, office, or taking on vacation
- Safe & Efficient: Features built-in safeguards to protect your devices against overcharging, overheating, and excessive current. Charge multiple devices simultaneously with no risk
- Reliable Lithium Polymer Battery: The lithium polymer battery pack makes this charger safer than other lithium ion chargers. Moreover, it is lighter and thinner, so you can easily carry it with you even on an airplane.
- 【2-Pack 10000mAh Power Bank】Two 10000mAh battery packs not only for portable charging but also around the home. Allowing you charge mobile devices without having to be tethered to a plug socket. Each of them fully charges 2.4 times for iPhone X, 3.6 times for iPhone 8 and 2.2 times for Samsung Galaxy S9.
- 【Dual Output & Input】Each has 2 USB output ports that detect all the connected devices and efficiently distributes the current output up to 5V 2.1A. The USB C and Micro USB ports can fully refill the battery itself in 5 hrs at 5V 2.0A.
- 【Reliable Li-polymer Cell】Thanks to the Li-polymer battery pack, the charger is much safer than any Li-ion charger. Also, it's lighter and slimer that you can easily carry it around, even on airplanes.
- 【Small & Slim】It feels incredibly compact for a 10000mAh power bank, weighing just 218g and only 14mm thick. Grippy design is easy to hold, easy to toss into a bag and incredibly portable.
- 【What You Get】2 * Miady 10000mAh USB Portable Charger (White & Black); 2 * USB Cable; 1 * User Manual. We provide 24*7 friendly customer support and also back our products for 18 months.
- ✅【INIU’s Confidence】At INIU, we use only the highest-grade materials, so we do have the confidence to provide an industry-leading 3 years warranty.
- ✅【High-efficiency USB C】Equipped with the latest worldwide USB C charging standard, working as both input and output to not only let you fast refuel the charger, but perfectly fit your newest iPhone, Android, and all upcoming USB C devices.
- ✅【Triple 3A High-speed Charging】Outpace your mates and charge 1.4x faster through our exclusive UPower+ technology. After intelligently identifying your devices, it auto-adjusts the output up to 3A.
- ✅【Ultra Slim 10000mAh】The thinnest 10000mAh power bank on the market, easily slips it into any of your pockets or bags. Enjoy the days’ worth of charging capacity, enough to top up iPhone 8 3.6 times, Samsung S8 2.3 times, or iPad Air once.
- ✅【Even Wider Compatibility】Unlike the market’s most power banks incapable of charging low-current accessories, INIU portable charger can work with not only all the phones, tablets but your smaller devices like AirPods, Bluetooth headphones, fitness trackers, smart watches, etc.
- 30000 mAh Huge Capacity Power Bank: Portable Charger 30000mAh high capacity allows to charge your devices multiple times.Like iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Switch, GOPRO etc.
- Dual Outputs and Inputs Charging Bank: With dual output ports (high speed Type-C and Micro USB),it allows you to charge 2 devices at the same time! It can charge iPhone11 Pro up to 7.4 times,iPhone12 Pro up to 5.6 times, Galaxy Note20 up to 4.8 times.
- Solar Chargers for Outdoor: It is convenient for you to carry it when you are doing outdoors activities；like camping, cycling, fishing, traveling, hiking and beaches. due to these variations in sunlight intensity and the solar panel conversion rate, it may take a long time to charge the battery bank using the solar panels; The primary way to charge the battery bank is by USB and only use solar charging feature in an emergency.
- Quality Certificated External Chargers: Our product has passed certifications like ul, ce, fc, rosh, etc; providing superior protection for you and your devices. built in three high quality li-polymer batteries and safeguards, longer standby time and protect your devices against excessive current, overheating,and overcharging, safe and reliable.
- Lifetime Friendly Customer Service: 30000 mah solar charger x 1, charger cable x 1, user manual x 1. If you have any questions, please contact us by email and we will give you a satisfactory answer within 24 hours, thank you.
Back to Top of How to Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone
Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone
Staying in touch with friends, family or work at home is a must for many globetrotters. Technology allows us to keep our loved ones connected to our journeys and we can share thrilling moments as they happen, thanks to smartphones and tablets. Since a smartphone or tablet is only as good as its battery life in many remote locations, where power outlets aren’t readily available for a quick charge, consider learning how to choose a power bank for your phone.
Back to Top of How to Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone
Cell Phone & Charger Guides
- How to Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Portable Charger
- Hokonui Wireless Portable Charger
- Best International SIM Card for Europe
- Best International Calling Plans for Cell Phones
- What Phones Work with Google Fi?
- What Networks Does Google Fi Use?
- How to Use Your iPhone with Google Fi
Home / How to Choose a Power Bank for Your Phone