When the GoPro HERO6 was first introduced, action photography enthusiasts were quick to point out the many similarities between the camera and its predecessor, the GoPro HERO5 Black. While the newest model is the GoPro HERO7, the HERO6 is still completely relevant with almost all the features you would need and now offered at a great price. The GoPro HERO6 boasts superior image stabilization, more vivid colors, included waterproof casing and improved controls. Thanks to the HERO6’s fast internal processor, it is able to offer a higher frame rate which enables you to shoot 4K videos at 60 frames per second. There’s little not to love about the GoPro HERO6.
- Hero6 black automatically sends your footage to your phone where the app turns it into a quikstory an awesome edited video
- With 4k60 and 1080p240 video, Hero6 black delivers 2x the performance compared to Hero5 black with an all new GP1 chip optimized for GoPro capture, Hero6 black delivers vastly improved image quality
- With our most advanced video stabilization yet, Hero6 black captures super smooth footage, whether it’s handheld or mounted to your gear Hero6 black is waterproof to 33 feet (10 meter) without a housing
- Now featuring touch zoom and an updated ui, the 2 inch display makes it easy to frame shots, change settings and play back footage
- Featuring 5ghz wi fi, you can copy photos and videos over to your phone 3x faster than with Hero5 black; Note low or high temperature conditions may temporarily shorten the battery life or cause the camera to temporarily stop working properly
Also check out the new GoPro HERO7:
- Hypersmooth video stabilization get gimbal like stabilization without the gimbal; Hero7 black predicts your movements and corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage
- Time warp video capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene; Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments
- Super photo: Get the best photos automatically; with super photo, Hero7 black intelligently applies hdr, local tone mapping or noise reduction to optimize your shots
- Rugged + waterproof: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone; Hero7 black is rugged, waterproof without a housing to 33 feet (10 meter) and up for any adventure
- Voice control: Stay in the moment; Control your Hero7 black hands free with voice commands like 'GoPro, take a photo' and 'GoPro, start recording
Pros GoPro HERO6 Review
- Multiple accessories available
- Improved low-light performance
Cons GoPro HERO6 Review
- Voice controls are inconsistent
- Short battery life
Back to Top of GoPro HERO6 Review
Features for GoPro HERO6 Review
Superior Image Stabilization
One of the major differences between the GoPro HERO6 Black and the GoPro HERO5 Black comes in the quality of the image stabilization between the two cameras. Now, the GoPro HERO5 Black was no slouch, but we don’t think even its staunchest defenders could deny its image stabilization was somewhat lacking.
In many ways, this was to be expected as the HERO5 Black was the first GoPro in the HERO series to feature image stabilization and so had some clear issues which needed to be worked out.
With the HERO6 Black, it seems like GoPro worked out those issues and then some. This camera boasts what the manufacturer has described as their “most advanced video stabilization yet” and will return clear images at a variety of speeds and in a variety of lighting conditions, even being effective at 120fps in 1080p.
While image stabilization is something GoPro is still experimenting with, the brand is very much at home when it comes to the waterproofing of its devices and, because waterproofing is never more important than in action cameras, GoPro made sure to exercise its expertise in the manufacturing of its HERO6 Black.
The GoPro HERO6 Black boasts effective waterproofing up to 10 meters, which equates to 33 feet. If you are a diver and would like to take the HERO6 Black to greater depths, GoPro offers a number of underwater housing accessories which will allow you to do so. Of course, this means you will have to increase your budget, which the camera itself may have already pushed to its limits.
High Frame Rates
One of the major differences between the GoPro HERO6 Black and the GoPro HERO5 Black comes in the form of frame rates. Because the HERO6 Black features a faster internal processor, it offers a greater selection of frame rates than its predecessor and can shoot 4K video at 60 frames per second. This latest addition to the HERO series is also capable of shooting in full HD at 1080p, which we touched on a little farther back.
These superior frame rates make the HERO6 Black the perfect action camera for those who take part in sports such as snowboarding and skiing, where reaching extreme speeds is often the name of the game.
We mentioned a little earlier the GoPro HERO5 Black was the first GoPro in the HERO series to feature image stabilization, but image stabilization was not the only reason the HERO5 Black was described as being ambitious (perhaps even ambitious to a fault).
As well as some new technological additions, GoPro turned to some of its favorite tried and tested features, including both touch and voice controls, in an attempt to turn its HERO5 Black into the single most convenient action camera on the market.
Unfortunately, many critics claimed the touchscreen was ineffective and often failed to register certain movements, while the voice control largely struggled to comprehend words that weren’t pronounced with the elocution of a character from My Fair Lady. Thankfully, GoPro recognized its shortcomings and righted them with the HERO6 Black.
This camera features the brand’s most sensitive and responsive touchscreen to date, while its improved voice control almost entirely eliminates the need for hands-on operation.
It should be pointed out, of course, some action camera enthusiasts have reported the voice control feature still not being quite as easy to navigate as most would like it to be, but it is nevertheless an undoubtable improvement upon its predecessor.
The ability to connect to Wi-Fi has long been one of the major selling points of GoPro cameras, one with which many competing manufacturers can’t contend, but the brand’s HERO6 Black goes above and beyond when it comes to Wi-Fi capabilities.
When paired with GoPro’s innovative smartphone app, the HERO6 Black can transport footage from itself to its companion devices almost three times faster than most other cameras in the HERO series, which means you can get your content edited and uploaded in a fraction of the time you and your viewers have grown used to.
Unfortunately, the HERO6 Black is similar to its predecessors where its battery drains rapidly during the transferring and uploading of footage, so you might want to make sure you have a power source nearby before attempting to make use of its Wi-Fi feature.
Back to Top of GoPro HERO6 Review
If you are a casual action photographer and don’t get the chance to go out and document your adventures more than once or twice a month, it’s difficult to think of any other reason beyond pure desire for you to purchase the GoPro HERO6 Black.
For hobbyists, the camera’s predecessor will prove just as useful and can be purchased for significantly less. That being said, if you are a frequent or professional action photographer and have $400 or $500 to spend on equipment, we recommend going with the HERO6 Black over any of the other models in GoPro’s HERO range.
We say this because none of the camera’s predecessors have proven capable of matching it when it comes to image stabilization, frame rates, and low-light performance, among other things.
These are areas with which amateurs generally have no reason to concern themselves, but they can be the difference between a good professional adventure sports photographer and a truly great one.
Back to Top of GoPro HERO6 Review
GoPro HERO6 Camera Review
Back to Top of GoPro HERO6 Review
Recommended Waterproof Cameras
Four outstanding options travelers may wish to consider in the "Waterproof Cameras" category are: GoPro HERO6, Fujifilm FinePix XP130 Waterproof Digital Camera and Nikon AW130 Shock & Waterproof GPS Digital Camera. Each of these models boasts features ideal for digital photo enthusiasts who need water, freeze and shockproof durable cameras with loads of other convenient options.
GoPro HERO6 Review
Nikon W300 Shock & Waterproof GPS Digital Camera Review
Nikon W300 Shock & Waterproof GPS Digital Camera - The Nikon W300 Shock & Waterproof GPS Digital Camera is a great option for travelers. With built-in GPS, as well as built-in Wi-Fi, and NFC, digital nomads can transfer their travel photos and videos directly to a compatible smartphone. This durable and portable underwater digital camera is designed to withstand even the harshest conditions experienced during travel, making it a great fit for globetrotting adrenaline junkies and thrill seekers.
Fujifilm FinePix XP130 Waterproof Digital Camera Review
Fujifilm FinePix XP130 Waterproof Digital Camera - This Fujifilm FinePix is a durable option in the rugged camera category offering face detection focusing, fast continuous shooting, remote control usage with a smartphone, image stabilization, built-in wireless and bluetooth technology.
Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera Review
Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera - Countless hobbyist photographers have proclaimed the Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera to be one of the best travel cameras on the market.
- Comprehensive LCD display, Waterproof and Shockproof body, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity and SnapBridge app
- Nikon offers it as part of a bundle which includes memory card, travel charger and tripod
- Top rated for video recording
Full Review: Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera Review
Learn More: How to Choose Waterproof Cameras
Waterproof Cameras - Amazon Best Sellers
- 4K Ultra HD action camera. Professional 4K 25Fps & 2.7K 30Fps video with 12MP photos at up to 30 frames per second for incredible photos, which is 4 times the resolution of traditional HD cameras.
- Wireless wrist remote control sports camera. With a wrist 2.4G remote, you can capture the world in an all-new way. Controlling the camera, framing shots or recording video is convenient.
- Longer battery life. AKASO EK7000 action camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries. Each battery can record up to 90 minutes. No more worry about the recording time for this Action camera.
- Built-in Wi-Fi & HDMI, edit & share YOUR action in minutes. Just download App(smart DV) on your phone or tablet and connect with this action camera. Wi-Fi signal ranges up to 10 meters.
- 100 Feet waterproof camera. AKASO EK7000 is designed to withstand extreme environments, together with durable waterproof case. With the accessories, transform it for indoor and outdoor activities.
- HD Waterproof Camera: With 48 million pixels, our underwater camera can take high-quality images with rich details. 2.7K video resolution can record smooth video for you capturing your meaningful time. And our camera supports Micro SD card up to 128GB, you have no need to worry the storage. (SD card should be purchased separately)
- 10 FT Underwater Camera: Designed to work in all conditions, our underwater camera can be submerged in 10-feet of water without casing for one hour per time. And this camera is portable and perfect for all your activities such as: snorkeling, camping, swimming, diving, beaching and even on your holiday trips. With our waterproof camera, you can capture your life in anytime and anywhere.
- Dual-Screen Design: Features a rear-facing 2.7" full-color LCD display and a secondary front-facing 1.8" selfie screen. With built-in 2/5/10-second self-timer for getting yourself along with the whole guys, never miss a moment of action at all in the family gatherings. With flashlight, you also can shoot vivid pictures in dark or dim environment.
- Continuous Shooting & Recording While Charging: In continuous shooting mode, you can take multiple photos once press photo button, never miss every interesting pictures and provide more life materials for you. The waterproof camera for snorkeling supports the function recording while charging. Even though you need to use the camera for a long time, you have no need to worry about no power.
- The camera is underwater camera, so the design of the battery card slot is more compact, it is more difficult to open than other cameras, the opening requires some skills, need help please contact customer service.
- Waterproof (50 feet / 15 meter ), dust proof, shockproof (7 feet / 2; 1 meter), crush proof (100kgf), freeze proof (14 degree Fahrenheit / 10 degree Celsius ), anti fog
- High resolution F2.0 lens, maximum 8x zoom, true pic VIII, back illuminated CMOS Image Sensor
- Variable macro system comprised of 4 macro shooting modes, magnified shooting up to 1centimeter from the end of the lens
- 5 underwater shooting modes including underwater microscope, 3 underwater white balance modes
- 4K movie and full HD 120 fps high speed movies can be recorded. Battery Life - Approx. 340 Images (using Toshiba SDHC UHS-I Card Exceria with IS ON, based on CIPA test standards). Approx. 50 minutes (under standard JEITA testing). Approx. 110 minutes (when zoom and other operational functions are not used). When repeatedly recording at the maximum time of 29 minutes
Back to Top of GoPro HERO6 Review