Planning which electric adapters and converters you need for international travel should be done well in advance of your trip to avoid hassle and frustration. The first step is to understand the various types of electrical outlet plugs and power adapters used throughout the world, which will inform your decisions about purchasing adapter plugs and electric converters.
Do I Need an Adaptor, a Converter or Both?
Travel adapter plugs simply allow the appliance to fit into the wall plug in another country. Converters are used to step up or down the voltage – they convert the electricity. As you can see from the 15 different types of world plugs outlined below, the most common voltage range in your travels is likely to be 200-240V. Therefore, it is possible you may only need an adapter, depending on where you plan to travel. A European adapter is a cost-effective and commonly used option.
Adapters tend to be much cheaper than converters; however, a benefit of purchasing a converter is that it typically has adapter prongs built in, so it can be used for both purposes.
Some of your electronic appliances are already equipped to handle different voltages. This is typically the case with computers/tablets, cameras, and smart phones, so you will most likely only need an adaptor for the majority of your travel gear. Check your items to see if they are “multi-voltage,” which means you may only need an adapter to use them while traveling abroad. Converters are used more for items with motors, such as hair dryers, electric toothbrushers and electric shavers, and even many of those already have dual voltage built in. For US travelers, most of your travel gear are two prong or USB, and not three prong, which is good as most adapters and coverters only accept a two prong plug. An adapter/converter that accepts a three prong US plug is difficult to find.
A step-down voltage converter allows a European traveler to easily use his appliances in the US, for example; and a step-up voltage converter allows an American traveler to use hers in Europe.
Electric Adapters and Converters Top Picks
Do you need an adapter, converter or both?
- An adapter changes the shape of the prongs on your plug so they fit the plug in your destination.
- A converter actually changes the voltage and current to match the local electricity type.
There are plenty of each type of available as well as combinations. I recommend taking options on the road since there are often outlets too small or placed oddly and won’t fit a converter, so you’ll only be able to use an adapter.
Top Travel Electricity Converters
- Worldwide use: 1 EU power cable and 4 International adapters ( us/UK/AU/it adapter), step down voltage converts 220/240V to 110/120V, so you could use American electronics in 220V/ 240V countries such United Kingdom, Continental Europe, Italy, Australia, Thailand, Japan, China etc, more than 150 countries over the world.,
- Supply 200 watts power converter with 2 standard US plugs and four 5V / 2.4A (2.4A per port max) capable of simultaneously charging multiple devices for your hair dryer, hair straightener breast pump, CPAP machine, electric shaver, electric toothbrush or Curling Wand, laptop, breast pump, CPAP machine, electric toothbrush, fan, nebulizer, game console, TV, DVD players, portable, lights, and other electronic devices
- Protect eelectronics safety: fan work silent and converter will auto shutdown for surge protection, over-heating, short circuiting, over-current, over temperature, short-circuit and overload, keep you and your devices very safely with small 200W Power
- Travel size design: Compact small size (4.8x3. 1x1. 5 inches) with 5 feet detachable power cable makes this power converter easy to pack and take anywhere you go. USB Output: DC 5Volt/8.4Amps (Total)
- Warranty and support: FOVAL 7*24 online support standing by, worry-free 100% money-back guarantee, We supply this adapter 24 months warranty.]
- BESTEK converter for 110V devices: Patented technology converts voltage in different countries including Australia (100-240V, 50/60Hz) to US/Japan voltage (110V, 60Hz), ideal for charging various small devices less than 250W
- Charges 7 devices simultaneously: 4 USB charging ports with a combined 6A output, 3 AC sockets support Max 200W power
- 24-month warranty & safety guaranteed: NRTL safety tested and upgraded hardware provides complete protection for you and your devices. Comes with over-current, over-load, over-heat and short-circuit protections. Note: USB outputs are completely isolated from the AC power to prevent all your devices from being damaged
- Worldwide use: 1 EU power cable and 3 international adapters (US/UK/AU plug) support outlets in Australia, North America, United Kingdom, Continental Europe, Japan, China, more than 150 countries all over the world
- Travel design: Compact size (6x3x1.57 inches) with 5 foot detachable power cable makes this power converter easy to pack and take anywhere you go
Top Travel Adapters
- This Travel Adapter with 4 international plug adapters. Cover more than 150 Countries with US/EU/UK/AU plugs, but this adapter cannot be used in South African, India, Swiss and Italy. Please kindly pay attention to avoid any inconvenience.
- This Charger Adapter Plug Converts the Power Outlet Only, it Does Not Convert Electrical Output Current and Voltage
- All-in-one Adapter with Fuse protect, Built-in Safety Shutters, LED Power Indicator.
- Dual USB ports. Ideal for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Tab, iPod, Smartphones, 5V Tablets, Bluetooth Speakers & Headset etc.
- Rated power: 110V~/650W, 220V~/1300W. Power output: 100-240VAC~50-60HZ 6A Max. Only apply to the use of small power electric appliances when traveling, such as mobile phone, digital products, computer with low power of small household appliances.The travel adapter does not work with high power appliances such as hair straightener, flat iron, hair curler, hair dryer, steam iron, hot water heater, coffee maker, etc.
Top Travel Extension Cords
An extension cord is a MUST HAVE for any traveler. I’m constantly shocked at how poorly the outlets are placed in hotels and apartments around the world. Are you supposed to sit on the floor behind a piece of furniture to work on your laptop? Create your room any way you want with a long extension cord (at least 5 feet) with multiple outlets and dedicate one of your converters to it, saving you buying lots of converters since you’ll have multiple outlets from your home country. Here are two great options for extension cords, each available in 10+ colors. Bonus points for USB charging ports, although you’ll most likely just plug in a USB charger.
- Décor – The braided fabric extension cord comes in a braided pattern and adds a personalized, decorative touch to any home or office space while also keeping your cord tangle-free and your cables organized
- Flat Plug – The sleek design of the low-profile flat plug allows your furniture and media to sit closer to the wall
- Power More – Three 2-prong outlets are perfect for table and floor lamps, appliances, phone chargers and other electronic equipment
- Extended Reach – Power strip provides optimal reach with the extra-long, 8-foot power cable
- Safety – Slide-to-lock safety outlets protect you from electrical shock when outlets are not in use. Do not plug in more than 1625 watts into this cord
- THE ORIGINAL DESIGNER SERIES: decorate your space with Globe Electric's designer series extension cord. Patent pending. Power strips also available!
- EXTRA OUTLETS: convert one socket into three polarized outlets - an easy way to increase the number of items you can plug into one area
- RIGHT ANGLE PLUG: furniture can sit flush to the wall with Globe Electric's slim space saving right angle plug
- MAXIMUM WATTAGE: with a maximum of 1, 625 watt usage, you can plug in your nightlight, alarm clock and phone charger with ease. Total Outlet: 3
- INDOOOR USE: designed specifically for indoor use
Top Travel Multiple Outlet Adapter
Not enough outlets? Add on a Multiple Outlet Adaptor (make sure it’s 2 prong, not 3 prong). While I wouldn’t plug 5 hair dryers into one set up, it’s just fine for charging multiple devices like laptops, cameras and phones and also fine for using one motorized appliance at a time.
- Model (5505): 3 Outlet 2 Prong Adapter | Quantity: 3 Pieces w/ Grounding Lug
- Convert one outlet easily into three making it easier to plug in all your small electrical devices into one socket.
- For 2 prong plugs.
- UL Listed: 125 Volt, 15A, 1875W
Back to Top of Electric Adapters and Converters
Plug and Socket Types by Countries
There are 15 different kinds of plugs used throughout the world, all of which can be used via specific plug adapters or power converters to ensure you can still use all your devices whenever you need to. The US Department of Commerce International Trade Administration identifies these plugs by letter, from Type A through Type O, and a quick overview of each type is listed as follows:
- Type A: primarily in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Japan. Two pins, not grounded, 15A, usually 100-127 V, compatible with Plug Type A.
- Type B: primarily in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Japan. Three pins, grounded, 15A, usually 100-127 V, compatible with Plug Types A and B.
- Type C: primarily in Europe, South America, and Asia. Two pins, not grounded, 2.5A, usually 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Type C.
- Type D: primarily in India. Three pins, grounded, 5A, 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Type D (may be compatible with Types C, E, and F).
- Type E: primarily in France, Poland, Belgium, Czechia, and Slovakia. Two pins, grounded, 16A, 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Types C, E, and F.
- Type F: primarily in Russia and Europe (except for the UK and Ireland). Two pins, grounded, 16A, 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Types C, E, and F.
- Type G: primarily in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Malta, Malaysia, and Singapore. Three pins, grounded, 13A, 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Type G.
- Type H: exclusive to Israel, the West Bank, and the Gaza Strip. Three pins, grounded, 16A, 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Types C and H (may be compatible though unsafe with Plug Types E and F).
- Type I: primarily in Australia, China, Argentina, and New Zealand. Two or three pins, two pins: not grounded and three pins: grounded, 10A, 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Type I.
- Type J: primarily in Switzerland, Rwanda, and Liechtenstein. Three pins, grounded, 10A, 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Types C and J.
- Type K: primarily in Greenland and Denmark. Three pins, grounded, 16A, 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Types C and K (may be compatible though unsafe with Plug Types E and F).
- Type L: primarily in Chile and Italy. Three pins, grounded, 10A and 16A, 220-240 V, 10 A socket compatible with plug types C and L (10 A version) and 16 A socket compatible with plug type L (16 A version).
- Type M: primarily in South Africa. Three pins, grounded, 15A, 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Type M.
- Type N: primarily in Brazil. Three pins, grounded, 10A and 20A, 100-240 V, compatible with Plug Types C and N.
- Type O: primarily in Thailand. Three pins, grounded, 16A, 220-240 V, compatible with Plug Types C and O (may be compatible though unsafe with Plug Types E and F).
Back to Top of Electric Adapters and Converters
Electric Adapters and Converters
The bottom line is you may wish to play it safe by purchasing a converter with an adapter included to cover all possible scenarios. It may cost a little more than the adapter, but it could save you from the costly mistake of ruining an electronic item damaged by incompatible voltages in another country.
How to choose a voltage converter is based on both the electronics and appliances you plan to use as well as the countries you plan to visit. Therefore, you will need to survey all of the items you plan to take, know the plug and voltage types in each destination, and research all of the scenarios and plan accordingly. Then you are ready to go!
You traveled halfway across the world to a beautiful destination. You enjoy a long-awaited shower, get dressed, and retrieve your hair dryer from your luggage… only to find you missed a crucial step in your travel planning. You can’t plug your hair dryer into the wall outlet and you don’t have any plug adapters, power adapters or electric converters. Needless to say, without a power supply and the right power adapter plugs, your cell phone charger, camera charger, and other important devices will not work in the outlet as well. And there is no way your cell phone will last the whole trip on a single battery charge. This is no way to start an exciting journey abroad.
Back to Top of Electric Adapters and Converters