Taking along the best water bottle for air travel will go a long way towards making sure you are hydrated on any flight, short or long haul. Staying hydrated is not the same as ‘drink a lot,’ which can be interpreted in many ways, and one or two of them will not do you much good at all. Traveling with the best self filtering water bottle will filter out virtually all the bacteria and chemicals found in even the cleanest tap water, making it extremely healthy for you to drink en route. Our review will look at three of the best self-filtering water bottles which are suitable for air travel and highlight both positive and negative features, ensuring you choose the best water bottle for you.
LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle
The LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle has a capacity of up to 22 fluid ounces. There are no size variations, but for those of you who like to fly with everything color coordinated, including your self-filtering water bottle, there are up to ten different color options. There is one option which has two bottles instead of one, if you don’t mind one blue and one purple bottle.
This is one of the top filtration systems currently available to the extent it has won awards. It can literally take a glass of cloudy water and turn it to clear, and drinkable water and will remove the following undesirables:
It does all of this without the use of chemicals such as iodine. Instead, its filters consist of a fiber membrane and carbon capsule which can filter particles as small as 0.2 microns. The filter units are also replaceable.
The mouthpiece is silicone based with enough flexibility to prevent it from cracking or chipping. For cleaning purposes, it can be removed.
- To attach the water bottle to a backpack or hand luggage, it has a carabiner
- Every self-filtering water bottle purchase triggers a charitable donation which provides clean drinking water for one year for a child in a developing country
Pros LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle
- Dual filtration system
- Reusable bottle
- Carabiner to attach to hand luggage
- Choice of colors
- Flexible straw
Cons LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle
- Mouthpiece can be noisy when sucking
- Filter replacements are not cheap
Back to Top of Best Water Bottle for Air Travel
Brita Sport Water Bottle Duo Pack
If two of you normally fly together and want a water bottle for each, then the Brita Sport Water Bottle with 2 Filters will appeal to you. Instead of just one self-filtering bottle, you get two, and your only issue will be to choose who gets the blue and who gets the orange one.
Other options for this include a single bottle or three bottles. In both instances the bottles are blue, and the capacity of all bottles is 20 fluid ounces, which is about 1.25 pints.
Each Brita carbon-based filter used in their bottles can filter around 40 gallons of water before needing to be replaced, so this equates to around 256 full bottles of water. Even if you drank 4 bottles every day, the timescale is at least every 2 months.
The filtration system is BPA-free and can filter out chlorine, odors and minute particles of unwanted matter from tap water. This allows you to drink much cleaner and fresher water than drinking it straight from the tap.
The straw is designed to make it easy for you to sip from the bottle including while you are walking.
- The bottle is soft, so you can squeeze it to promote the water flow
- It has a plastic loop which can be used to carry it
- It is dishwasher safe, but on the top rack only
Pros Brita Sport Water Bottle with 2 Filters
- Two bottles equal better value for money
- Looped handle for carrying
- Single or triple bottle set available
- BPA free filter system
- Dishwasher safe
Cons Brita Sport Water Bottle with 2 Filters
- Does need quite a squeeze for water to come out
- Bottle is very slippery if your hands are wet
Back to Top of Best Water Bottle for Air Travel
KOR Nava Reusable Self-Filtering Water Bottle
The KOR Nava Reusable Self-Filtering Water Bottle has a capacity of 22 fluid ounces, along with a variety of trim colors, such as pink, blue, black, and green. As with most self-filtered water bottles, the filter is carbon-based but what makes this one different from the others we have seen, is the filter unit is made from pure coconut shell. This ensures that as much of the bottle as possible is made from natural materials. The filter is designed to remove chlorine, odors and bad tastes from tap water, and has been certified to Standard 42 by the NSF.
The water flow system within this bottle is one of the best around. It utilizes a patented ‘EasyFlow’ technology so you do not have to use excessive suction or biting on the straw, nor do you need to squeeze the bottle tightly to get a drink of water.
The straw is housed in a cap which protects it when not in use, and when you do want to use it, you simply press a button and it opens.
- The base of the bottle is cushioned so it won’t damage or scratch delicate surfaces if placed upon them
- To ensure it is comfortable when being held in your hand, the manufacturers have used an ergonomic design for the exterior of the bottle
Pros KOR Nava Reusable Self-Filtering Water Bottle
- Cushioned base
- Natural coconut shell filter unit
- Push button to open straw
- Ergonomic design for comfort
- ‘EasyFlow’ system for easy drinking
Cons KOR Nava Reusable Self-Filtering Water Bottle
- Straw makes loud noises when drinking
- No carrying loop
Best Water Bottle for Air Travel – Amazon Top Picks
- GREAT-TASTING WATER: This premium water bottle filters as you drink, reducing Chlorine (taste & odor) found in tap water.
- FILTERED WATER ANYWHERE: This sleek, 26 ounce bottle, fits car cup friendly holders so you can easily enjoy filtered water at home, the office, a sporting event or on a trip abroad.
- CONVENIENT HYDRATION: Featuring durable, BPA-free, hard-sided plastic, built-in carrying loop, one-handed push button lid, and enclosed straw, this filtering bottle provides effortless hydration anywhere.
- REDUCE & SAVE: One water bottle filter can replace up to 300 standard 16.9 ounce single-use plastic bottles. Stay hydrated, save money, and reduce plastic waste.
- EASY TO CLEAN: This filtering water bottle is top rack dishwasher safe. For best results, filter should be replaced every 40 gallons or every two months.
- Reusable LifeStraw Go BPA-free water bottle filters water while drinking; great for travel, backpacking, camping, and emergency kits
- Award-winning LifeStraw hollow fiber membrane water filter removes bacteria and protozoa from lakes, streams to ensure safe, clean drinking water
- 2-stage activated carbon filter reduces odor, chlorine and leaves zero aftertaste
- Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, and 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites without chemicals, iodine or batteries
- Durable, 23-ounce, leak-proof bottle made of BPA-free Tritan and features a food-grade silicone mouthpiece; replacement filters available separately
- Ideal for global traveling, outdoor adventures, emergency preparedness, hiking, backpacking, camping, fishing, survival
- Fast and easy-to-use, simply Fill. Press. Drink. No sucking, squeezing, pumping, prolonged waiting, ultraviolet bulbs, or batteries
- Award winning [ONE PRESS] design makes clean, purified drinking water in only 15 seconds from virtually any fresh water source in the world
- Removes 99.9999% of viruses (e.g. Hepatitis A, SARS, Rotavirus); 99.9999% of disease-causing bacteria (e.g. E. coli, Salmonella, Cholera); and 99.999% of protozoan cysts (e.g. Giardia, Cryptosporidium)
- Filters particulates (e.g. sediment, silt), many chemicals (e.g. chlorine, benzene) and heavy metals (e.g. lead, arsenic); zero aftertaste, eliminates bad odors, improves clarity and flavor
- MULTI-STAGE FILTRATION PROCESS: The Nalgene OG filter uses depth & adsorption filtration to achieve 1 micron contaminant removal. Adsorption removes particulates via the activated coconut carbon fiber mesh surface areas, which adsorbs contaminants such as cysts, heavy metals, chemicals, pharmaceuticals & herbicides as they pass by. Depth filtration (6mm thick) involves the removal of suspended waste products as they try to pass through the millions of layers of coconut carbon fiber.
- NO MORE EXPENSIVE SINGLE USE PLASTIC WATER BOTTLES: The Nalgene OG water filter bottle saves the Earth over 550 plastic water bottles from our landfills & oceans. This USA made eco-friendly organic coconut shell based carbon fiber mesh filter is an environment friendly filtration media that is approved by NSF/ANSI standards. Want this filter technology in a pitcher or under the sink water filter? Visit our Amazon store @ www.amazon.com/epicwaterfilters
- SIMPLE, SAFE & AMERICAN MADE: Nalgene provided the legendary OG American Made Bottle, Epic Water Filters provided the American Made Filter: 100% BPA & BPS free durable dishwasher safe Tritan material, 100% FDA-approved food grade filter materials, 100% replaceable and recyclable, 100% gluten free, 100% vegan, 100% awesome! Want to get wild? Switch your filter from our "Urban" filter to our "Outdoor Adventure Filter" (not included) for your next outback adventure.
- REUSABLE BY DESIGN: At Epic Water Filters, we believe in building products that never become obsolete, the Epic Nalgene OG is a perfect example. When you invest in an Epic Water Filters Nalgene OG, you get a modular system designed to grow with your family and perform for years to come. Whether you are trying to remove tap water contaminants or taking your Nalgene OG bottle on your next adventure overseas, the interchangeable filter system has you covered no matter where you find yourself.
- “YOU’LL LOVE IT” GUARANTEE: Our 100% money-back guarantee is as clear as our water. Either you love your American made Nalgene OG, or you send it back and receive a full refund. Our commitment to world-class customer service includes: 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee | Friendly 24-7 phone and email support | No-hassle returns | Expedited "Prime" order delivery option | Promotional discount codes | Water resource center
- 4 Stage advanced high-performance filter -- they are: Medical Grade Hollow Fiber UF Membrane, Coconut Shell Activated Carbon, Beads and Medical Grade PP Cotton. Improve water taste and offer safe drinking water,The filtered water bottle could reduce chlorine in tap water and improve water taste at home and office.it also can protects you from harmful chemicals and heavy metals along with protozoa by the 0.01 diameter microns UF Membrane.
- Durable and easily replace filter-- it can filter water up to 1500 L (396 Gallons) water ,or nearly 6 months of continuous use and can be replaced easily,please DON'T disassemble the filter element in two parts,rinse it directly from the bottom of the filter.
- Drink straight anywhere --this water filter bottle is PERFECT For international Traveling ,Camping ,Hiking ,Backpacking,Climbing, Survival,Even the emergency use at home , No longer need to buy extra water.Helping the environment,AND save your money,drinkable water in harsh outdoor conditions( river, rain, stream and lake).
- Leakproof design and guiding direction --There is a tiny hole on lid, which is designed to allow the air in & out, so it could be much easier to suck out from the filter (impossible to drink from vacuum or without air); tiny hole is covered with the nozzle cap to prevent the leakage and the nozzle cap is dust proof when hiking or camping.the built-in compass on the top will help you to find direction.
- Kind reminder--Rinse the carbon filter with a fewer ounce water to eliminate the taste of itself when first time use. And suck 4-5 times to get the water up through the filter. the ideal temperature for filter operation is 32-90 °F,if you are not satisfied with the filtered water bottles,contact us for the replacement or the full refund with no worry.24 hours on line via EMAIL.
- SPACE EFFICIENT: The BPA-Free UltraMax Water Dispenser holds 18 cups or 1.13 gallons of water which is great for families and fits neatly on countertops and refrigerator shelves.
- CLEANER AND GREAT TASTING: The Brita standard filter reduces chlorine (taste and odor), copper, mercury, zinc and cadmium impurities found in tap water for cleaner great tasting water for the whole family. *Substances reduced may not be in all users' water
- FILTER CHANGE REMINDER: A helpful sticker indicator on the water dispenser lets you keep track of when you last changed your water filter and when it needs to be replaced. Replace Brita filters every 40 gallons or every 2 months
- EASY POUR: This large, 18 cup filtered water dispenser has a spigot that makes pouring easy
- REDUCE WASTE & SAVE: One Brita standard water filter can replace 300 standard 16 oz water bottles which saves you money and reduces plastic waste
We’ve looked at three very different self-filtering water bottles which can be used for air travel, and each of them has their merits. If the quality and the purity of the water is your utmost concern, then the award-winning filtration of the LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle should appeal to you. The carabiner also makes it the best one for attaching to your hand luggage.
For value, getting two bottles instead of just one can’t be bad, and that is exactly what you get with the Brita Sport Water Bottle with 2 Filters. Finally, we have what we believe is the best-looking bottle and the one with the best design, thanks to a unique coconut shell filter, a cushioned base, and a button to release the straw.
So, the choice you have in picking the best water bottle for air travel is deciding whether water quality, value for money, or design is your top priority.
Back to Top of Best Water Bottle for Air Travel