Choosing the best travel camera under $200 requires careful research. Here we examine point-and-shoot cameras as well as other compact cameras that produce high-quality images and are ideal for your travel needs. When evaluating a travel camera, travelers should consider the locations they will visit (especially if a waterproof camera is needed), compatibility with other devices (such as smartphones and tablets), desired features (such as autofocus, action shooting, color settings, video capabilities), and overall value and consumer reviews.
Unlike many professional DSLR cameras, today’s high-tech digital compact cameras in the “rugged camera” class are easy enough for even amateur photographers to master and produce decent image quality and video recording capabilities and are a must for any traveler who wants to try her hand at Vlogging. As you plan your journey abroad, we’ll help you through the ins and outs of choosing a reliable and high-quality travel camera for under $200.
How to Choose the Best Travel Camera
Continued advancements in technology have brought us an impressive class of point-and-shoot cameras in this budget category. They are jam-packed with sophisticated features such as wide-angle lenses and quality image sensors and are designed for even beginners to produce decent image quality with ease. The ability to capture amazing action shots or high-quality video recordings is easier than ever before. Coupled with the easy image transfer process to smartphones and other devices, the use of compact digital cameras is key to staying connected during travel. With the simple push of a button, these “action cameras” can transfer images to mobile devices and allow you to share them on social media platforms.
When researching travel cameras, you should consider these questions:
- What is the size and weight of the camera? Is it durable and easy to carry around?
- How will the lens perform in low lighting and what is the optical zoom?
- Can the camera sync to my Wi-Fi network and will I be able to transfer images easily?
- Is the camera equipped for geotagging, to record the locations of my images?
- Is the camera waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof?
- Does the camera have HD video capability?
- How are the autofocus settings reviewed by users and can I use manual settings as well?
- How is the color quality rated in images produced by the camera, including those shot underwater?
- What is the typical battery life?
- What accessories are included and does it come with a warranty from the manufacturer?
Recommended Best Travel Camera Under $200
Three affordable options travelers may wish to consider in the "Best Travel Camera Under $200" category are: the Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera, Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera and Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera. Each of these models boasts features ideal for travelers who need a lightweight and durable camera.
Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera Review
Countless hobbyist photographers have proclaimed the Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera to be one of the best travel cameras on the market. Comprehensive LCD display, Waterproof and Shockproof body, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity and SnapBridge app, great bundles available, top rated for video recording
Full Review: Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera Review
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Nikon Coolpix W150 Digital Camera (White), Accessory Bundle for Large Point and Shoot Digital Cameras, EN-EL19 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Replacement Battery for Nikon Coolpix, 32GB 80MB/s SD Card, and Foam Floating Camera Strap (Color May Vary)
- IMAGING: The camera offers an effective pixel count of 13.2 million pixels and is equipped with a 3x optical zoom NIKKOR lens. It has Dynamic Fine Zoom*, which can be used to achieve approximately 6x zoom
- RUGGED DESIGN: The Nikon Coolpix W150 is tough and reliable for use by children and adults in a variety of leisure and travel situations. The camera is waterproof to a depth of 33-feet/10m, shockproof to withstand falls from as high as 5.9-feet/1.8m, dustproof and cold-resistant down to 14 degree Fahrenheit/-10 degree Celsius
- ZOOM: Dynamic Fine Zoom can be used to achieve approximately 6x zoom while ensuring that resolution remains high throughout the digital zoom range
- NIKON AUTHORIZED DEALER: Includes USA Manufacturer Warranty
Canon PowerShot Elph Digital Camera Review
Ideal for the infrequent photographer who just wants some outstanding photographic memories of their well-deserved vacations. Compact body, image stabilization, face detention and package bundles including SD cards. Image recovery software and 8x optical zoom.
Full Review: Canon PowerShot Elph Digital Camera Review
- 12x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer helps you capture images with flexibility and ease
- Built in Wi Fi and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos. Large 3.0 inch LCD enables easy viewing even from a wide angle.Max Resolution:5184 x 3888
- 1080p HD video capabilities, 20.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor to help deliver stunning image quality even in low light
- Hi Speed USB (Mini B), HDMI (Type D), direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers & PictBridge compatible printers, design rule for Camera File system (DCF) compliant, DPOF (Version 1.1) compatible
- Operating temperature is 0 to 40 degree celsius. Operating humidity is 10 to 90 percent. Zooming is not possible when shooting movies Subjects look distorted when subjects that pass in front of the camera quickly may look distorted. This is not a malfunction. Shots are out of focus, press the shutter button halfway to focus on subjects before pressing it all the way down to shoot. Make sure subjects are within focusing range. Set af assist beam to on. Confirm that unneeded functions such as macro are deactivated. Image stabilization for angular camera shake and shift shake in macro shots hybrid is
Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera Review
The compact Cyber-shot DSC-WX220 from Sony is a great choice for the amateur to moderate photographer and videographer. Features include Optical Zoom, full HD video recording in 1080/60p, Sweep Panorama mode, Long Battery Life,Wi-Fi Connectivity, Lightweight design, multiple color options.
Full Review: Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera Review
- 10x Optical / 20x Clear Image Zoom G Lens, 182MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor for superb low light images, BIONZ X engine for superb detail and noise reduction
- Operating temperature:32-104°F/0-40°C.Smooth Full HD video recording in 1080/60p, Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi w/NFC, Capture the decisive moment with up to 10fps
- In the box: Rechargeable Battery (NP-BN), AC Adaptor (AC-UB10C / UB10D), Micro USB cable, Wrist Strap, Instruction Manual
- BATTERY LIFE(STILL IMAGES)(CIPA):Up to 210 shots / 105 minutes
See More: Best Travel Camera Under $200
Cameras Under $200 Amazon Best Sellers
- 【44MP & 2.7K Small Camera】This pocket camera is featured with 44 Mega Pixels image resolution(Format: JPEG) and 2.7K HD Video resolution(Format: AVI). You can capture and record wonderful lenses with family and friends at any time, get more natural and realistic image quality. And there is a big bonus that the package comes with 2 rechargeable Li-ion batteries, you don't have to worry about running out of power when you use it outdoors.
- 【16X Digital Zoom & 2.88" IPS Screen Photo Camera】This compact camera has a 16x digital zoom, which has the capability to get a clearer view of far-away subjects and capture the details you desire. In addition, the digital camera is equipped with a 2.88" IPS display screen, allowing even the elderly to easily view photos/videos.
- 【Webcam & Electronic Anti-shake】This 2.7k video camera can be used as webcam. Connect your camera to your computer via the attached mini USB cable, then keep pressing both the “M” button and the “POWER” button at the same time, select the camera as PC cam, then open the Youtube, Facebook and Instagram pages to start live streaming. You can also make video chat with friends or family. In addition, it also supports electronic anti-shake function, which can effectively improve the picture quality.
- 【Multi-function Portable Camera】 This mini digital camera is a decent size, you can easily put it in your pocket or use our hang strip hanging anywhere, also supports Self-Timer, Continuous Shooting, Flashlight, Face/Smile Detection, and many other functions.
- 【Perfect Gift & Tips】This mini digital camera is the perfect gift for kids, teens, beginners, elder people, friends, and it's the gift for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Birthday, and any other special occasions. We supports 1 year warranty. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us and we will give you a best solution.
- Powerful 16.1-Megapixel CCD sensor gives you room to enlarge, zoom and crop to your heart's content without losing out on life-like clarity or quality
- 28mm wide angle lens lets you step up to a bigger frame and fit more of your subject in without having to step back
- Panning shot mode allows you to capture clear subject when it is in motion and loads of other scene modes providing you the best setting and exposure to capture great pictures in any circumstances
- Face detection and auto exposure detects facial features and enhances it for true subject highlighting. Blink/smile detection helps you to capture the perfect moment
- Use Red-eye removal to instantly touch up portraits. Adjust exposure to include more detail in light and dark scenes with the HDR touch-up tool
- 30x (24-720 millimeter) Leica DC lens optical zoom performance is ideally suited for travel and everyday photography
- 18 Megapixel sensor delivers high-resolution photos with fewer image artifacts
- 4K Ultra HD video recording Plus exclusive Lumix 4K PHOTO and 4K post focus photo capture features
- Eye-level electronic viewfinder (EVF) and touch-enabled LCD for a wider viewing experience
- Lens-mounted control ring brings DSLR-like exposure control to a compact point-and-shoot camera body.Kindly refer the user manual before use.Wi-fi: IEEE 802.11B/g/n
Back to Top of Best Travel Camera Under $200
Tech4Trek Camera Guides