Choosing the best travel camera under $200 requires careful research. Here we examine point-and-shoot cameras as well as other compact cameras that produce high-quality images and are ideal for your travel needs. When evaluating a travel camera, travelers should consider the locations they will visit (especially if a waterproof camera is needed), compatibility with other devices (such as smartphones and tablets), desired features (such as autofocus, action shooting, color settings, video capabilities), and overall value and consumer reviews.
Unlike many professional DSLR cameras, today’s high-tech digital compact cameras in the “rugged camera” class are easy enough for even amateur photographers to master and produce decent image quality and video recording capabilities and are a must for any traveler who wants to try her hand at Vlogging.
As you plan your journey abroad, we’ll help you through the ins and outs of choosing a reliable and high-quality travel camera for under $200.
How to Choose the Best Travel Camera
Continued advancements in technology have brought us an impressive class of point-and-shoot cameras in this budget category. They are jam-packed with sophisticated features such as wide-angle lenses and quality image sensors and are designed for even beginners to produce decent image quality with ease. The ability to capture amazing action shots or high-quality video recordings is easier than ever before. Coupled with the easy image transfer process to smartphones and other devices, the use of compact digital cameras is key to staying connected during travel. With the simple push of a button, these “action cameras” can transfer images to mobile devices and allow you to share them on social media platforms.
When researching travel cameras, you should consider these questions:
- What is the size and weight of the camera? Is it durable and easy to carry around?
- How will the lens perform in low lighting and what is the optical zoom?
- Can the camera sync to my Wi-Fi network and will I be able to transfer images easily?
- Is the camera equipped for geotagging, to record the locations of my images?
- Is the camera waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof?
- Does the camera have HD video capability?
- How are the autofocus settings reviewed by users and can I use manual settings as well?
- How is the color quality rated in images produced by the camera, including those shot underwater?
- What is the typical battery life?
- What accessories are included and does it come with a warranty from the manufacturer?
Recommended Best Travel Camera Under $200
Three affordable options travelers may wish to consider in the "Best Travel Camera Under $200" category are: the Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera, Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera and Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera. Each of these models boasts features ideal for travelers who need a lightweight and durable camera.
Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera Review
Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera - Countless hobbyist photographers have proclaimed the Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera to be one of the best travel cameras on the market.
- Comprehensive LCD display, Waterproof and Shockproof body, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity and SnapBridge app
- Nikon offers it as part of a bundle which includes memory card, travel charger and tripod
- Top rated for video recording
Full Review: Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera Review
Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera Review
Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera - Ideal for the infrequent photographer who just wants some outstanding photographic memories of their well-deserved vacations.
- Compact body, image stabilization, face detention and package bundles including SD cards
- Image recovery software
- 8x optical zoom
Full Review: Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera Review
Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera Review
Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera - The compact Cyber-shot DSC-WX220 from Sony is a great choice for the amateur to moderate photographer and videographer.
- Optical Zoom, full HD video recording in 1080/60p, Sweep Panorama mode
- Long Battery Life
- Wi-Fi Connectivity, Lightweight design, multiple color options
Full Review: Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera Review
See More: Best Travel Camera Under $200
Cameras Under $200 Amazon Best Sellers
- Extended battery life - 2 year battery life on two AA lithium batteries with a combination of two-way talk, live view, and motion recording. Double the usage of the XT on a single set of batteries when recording video.
- 2-way audio - Talk to visitors through the Blink app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Customizable motion detection - Use activity zones to choose where motion is detected so you receive the alerts that matter.
- Free cloud storage - Keep hundreds of clips stored up to a year with no monthly fees or service contract required.
- Works with Alexa - View live streams, motion clips, or arm and disarm your camera through select Alexa-enabled devices.
- Kit Includes 10 products: Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 digital camera + nb-11lh lithium-ion battery pack + cb-2lf battery Charger + ws-800 wrist strap + Limited 1-year
- Sandisk 32 GB 320x Class 10 high-speed SDHC memory card + card reader + memory card wallet + tabletop tripod + padded camera case + screen protector
- 20.0MP 1/2.3" Ccd image sensor - DIGIC 4+ Image processor - 8x optical zoom Lens
- 28-224Mm (35mm equivalent) - 2.7" 230K-dot LCD monitor - HD 720P video recording at 25 fps
- Is 1600 and 2.2 fps continuous shooting - optical image Stabilizer and digital is - Smart auto and auto zoom settings - Eco mode and help button
- 20.1 megapixel plus 35x zoom brings detailed subjects close - 3.0" LCD screen for easy viewing and photo editing
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization reduces blur
- Capture your videos in 720p HD Movie mode
- Does not support Wifi
Back to Top of Best Travel Camera Under $200