Choosing the best travel camera under $200 requires careful research. Here we examine point-and-shoot cameras as well as other compact cameras that produce high-quality images and are ideal for your travel needs. When evaluating a travel camera, travelers should consider the locations they will visit (especially if a waterproof camera is needed), compatibility with other devices (such as smartphones and tablets), desired features (such as autofocus, action shooting, color settings, video capabilities), and overall value and consumer reviews.
Unlike many professional DSLR cameras, today’s high-tech digital compact cameras in the “rugged camera” class are easy enough for even amateur photographers to master and produce decent image quality and video recording capabilities and are a must for any traveler who wants to try her hand at Vlogging. As you plan your journey abroad, we’ll help you through the ins and outs of choosing a reliable and high-quality travel camera for under $200.
How to Choose the Best Travel Camera
Continued advancements in technology have brought us an impressive class of point-and-shoot cameras in this budget category. They are jam-packed with sophisticated features such as wide-angle lenses and quality image sensors and are designed for even beginners to produce decent image quality with ease. The ability to capture amazing action shots or high-quality video recordings is easier than ever before. Coupled with the easy image transfer process to smartphones and other devices, the use of compact digital cameras is key to staying connected during travel. With the simple push of a button, these “action cameras” can transfer images to mobile devices and allow you to share them on social media platforms.
When researching travel cameras, you should consider these questions:
- What is the size and weight of the camera? Is it durable and easy to carry around?
- How will the lens perform in low lighting and what is the optical zoom?
- Can the camera sync to my Wi-Fi network and will I be able to transfer images easily?
- Is the camera equipped for geotagging, to record the locations of my images?
- Is the camera waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof?
- Does the camera have HD video capability?
- How are the autofocus settings reviewed by users and can I use manual settings as well?
- How is the color quality rated in images produced by the camera, including those shot underwater?
- What is the typical battery life?
- What accessories are included and does it come with a warranty from the manufacturer?
Recommended Best Travel Camera Under $200
Three affordable options travelers may wish to consider in the "Best Travel Camera Under $200" category are: the Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera, Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera and Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera. Each of these models boasts features ideal for travelers who need a lightweight and durable camera.
Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera Review
Countless hobbyist photographers have proclaimed the Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera to be one of the best travel cameras on the market. Comprehensive LCD display, Waterproof and Shockproof body, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity and SnapBridge app, great bundles available, top rated for video recording
Full Review: Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera Review
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Nikon Coolpix W150 Digital Camera (White), Accessory Bundle for Large Point and Shoot Digital Cameras, EN-EL19 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Replacement Battery for Nikon Coolpix, 32GB 80MB/s SD Card, and Foam Floating Camera Strap (Color May Vary)
- IMAGING: The camera offers an effective pixel count of 13.2 million pixels and is equipped with a 3x optical zoom NIKKOR lens. It has Dynamic Fine Zoom*, which can be used to achieve approximately 6x zoom
- RUGGED DESIGN: The Nikon Coolpix W150 is tough and reliable for use by children and adults in a variety of leisure and travel situations. The camera is waterproof to a depth of 33-feet/10m, shockproof to withstand falls from as high as 5.9-feet/1.8m, dustproof and cold-resistant down to 14 degree Fahrenheit/-10 degree Celsius
- ZOOM: Dynamic Fine Zoom can be used to achieve approximately 6x zoom while ensuring that resolution remains high throughout the digital zoom range
Canon PowerShot Elph Digital Camera Review
Ideal for the infrequent photographer who just wants some outstanding photographic memories of their well-deserved vacations. Compact body, image stabilization, face detention and package bundles including SD cards. Image recovery software and 8x optical zoom.
Full Review: Canon PowerShot Elph Digital Camera Review
- 12x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer helps you capture images with flexibility and ease
- Built in Wi Fi and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos. Large 3.0 inch LCD enables easy viewing even from a wide angle.Max Resolution:5184 x 3888
- 1080p HD video capabilities, 20.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor to help deliver stunning image quality even in low light
- Hi Speed USB (Mini B), HDMI (Type D), direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers & PictBridge compatible printers, design rule for Camera File system (DCF) compliant, DPOF (Version 1.1) compatible
- Operating temperature is 0 to 40 degree celsius. Operating humidity is 10 to 90 percent. Zooming is not possible when shooting movies Subjects look distorted when subjects that pass in front of the camera quickly may look distorted. This is not a malfunction. Shots are out of focus, press the shutter button halfway to focus on subjects before pressing it all the way down to shoot. Make sure subjects are within focusing range. Set af assist beam to on. Confirm that unneeded functions such as macro are deactivated. Image stabilization for angular camera shake and shift shake in macro shots hybrid is
Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera Review
The compact Cyber-shot DSC-WX220 from Sony is a great choice for the amateur to moderate photographer and videographer. Features include Optical Zoom, full HD video recording in 1080/60p, Sweep Panorama mode, Long Battery Life,Wi-Fi Connectivity, Lightweight design, multiple color options.
Full Review: Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera Review
- 10x Optical / 20x Clear Image Zoom G Lens, 182MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor for superb low light images, BIONZ X engine for superb detail and noise reduction
- Operating temperature:32-104°F/0-40°C.Smooth Full HD video recording in 1080/60p, Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi w/NFC, Capture the decisive moment with up to 10fps
- In the box: Rechargeable Battery (NP-BN), AC Adaptor (AC-UB10C / UB10D), Micro USB cable, Wrist Strap, Instruction Manual
- BATTERY LIFE(STILL IMAGES)(CIPA):Up to 210 shots / 105 minutes
See More: Best Travel Camera Under $200
Cameras Under $200 Amazon Best Sellers
- 【36.0-megapixel & 1080P】 High-resolution shooting in a compact, portable form factor, this is a convenient point-and-shoot digital camera featuring a 36.0MP, and full HD (1920x1080) high quality video with minimal compression noise even in scenes with a lot of movement. Also it fits easily in a pocket or purse.
- 【Multifunction Digital Camera & 16x Digital Zoom】 Get super close and clear pictures. Complementing the imaging capabilities, an 16x digital zoom lens covers wide-angle to telephoto perspectives to suit shooting in a variety of locations. This digital camera supports webcam, anti-shake, face detection, smile detection, self-timer, continuous shooting.
- 【Anti-Shake & Webcam】 Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with Active mode compensates for camera shake to help provide clearer images with minimal blur and low noise, even while you stroll around. After plugging in the USB, press and hold the MODE button to turn on, and it will switch to the PC CAM mode.
- 【Simple Operation Buttons and Interfaces】 A 2.4" rear IPS LCD monitor is available for composing imagery, navigating the menu, or reviewing photos and videos. Additionally for image playback and live view monitoring, and a host of shooting features are available to intelligently select exposure settings, creatively adjust the look of imagery.
- 【Versatile and Pocketable】 This good point-and-shoot camera can quickly become your favorite travel companion, always on hand to whip out at a moment's notice when a perfect scene presents itself. The compact camera is equipped with two 700mAh rechargeable batteries, perfect gift for beginner.
- 🎁【Multifunctional Digital Camera】Anteam camera for photography has 20 filters effect and 8 picture styles, supports webcam function, pause function, recording while charging, beauty, face detect, smile capture, anti-shake, self timer, continuous shooting, auto off. This cheap camera built-in LED fill light, when shooting under dark/low light conditions, the fill light can provide auxiliary light to help you take clear and high-quality photos and videos
- 🎁【Full HD 1080P & 36 MP Point and Shoot Digital Camera】This digital camera for kids featured with full HD 1080P video resolution and 36.0 mega pixel image resolution, can achieve excellent capture effects and create your high-definition masterpiece! You can capture and record wonderful times with family and friends at any time. Max support 128G external SD card, SD card not included in the package
- 🎁【16X Digital Zoom & Pause Function】This compact camera is equipped with 16X digital zoom, which allows you to zoom in on distant objects and capture all the details you need. You just press the W/T button to zoom in or out to look further. The pause function allows you to pause when record or playback videos. This portable camera can easily switch between video mode, photo mode, preview mode, and setting mode through the "M" button
- 🎁【Webcam Function & Rechargeable Digital Camera】The kids camera can be used as a webcam, connect the teen camera to the computer via a USB cable to make video calls with family or friends. You can also use it to provide high-quality live streaming on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter or other social media. 2.4" large LCD display show you vivid video. Comes with two 700mAh rechargeable lithium-ion batteries and supports USB charging, take it everywhere you go and capture the wonderful moment
- 🎁【Compact Design & Easy to Use & Worry-Free Warranty】This small digital camera is very lightweight and compact, so slim that you can put it in your pocket, so you can carry it anytime, anywhere. This digital camera for teens is super easy to operate, very suitable for kids, teens, beginners. It is a meaningful gift for your kid's birthday, new school term, children’s day gift, a Christmas or Thanksgiving. You can get our unique worry-free 16-month warranty, and friendly customer service
- Capture what’s happening from wide-angle to telephoto with 8x optical zoom NIKKOR glass lens/16x Dynamic Fine Zoom
- High resolution 20.1-megapixel image sensor
- Using Nikon Snap Bridge, the camera has built-in Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology for wirelessly sharing photos to a compatible smartphone
- System Requirements:Android 5.0 or later or 6.0.1 or later,iOS 8.4 or later, iOS 9.1 or later (latest version of iOS 8 or iOS 9 recommended) plus iOS 10.1 or iOS 10.2.
- A device with Bluetooth 4.0 or later (i.e., a device that supports Bluetooth Smart Ready/Low Energy) is required.
Back to Top of Best Travel Camera Under $200
Tech4Trek Camera Guides