Choosing the best travel camera under $200 requires careful research. Here we examine point-and-shoot cameras as well as other compact cameras that produce high-quality images and are ideal for your travel needs. When evaluating a travel camera, travelers should consider the locations they will visit (especially if a waterproof camera is needed), compatibility with other devices (such as smartphones and tablets), desired features (such as autofocus, action shooting, color settings, video capabilities), and overall value and consumer reviews.
Unlike many professional DSLR cameras, today’s high-tech digital compact cameras in the “rugged camera” class are easy enough for even amateur photographers to master and produce decent image quality and video recording capabilities and are a must for any traveler who wants to try her hand at Vlogging.
As you plan your journey abroad, we’ll help you through the ins and outs of choosing a reliable and high-quality travel camera for under $200.
How to Choose the Best Travel Camera
Continued advancements in technology have brought us an impressive class of point-and-shoot cameras in this budget category. They are jam-packed with sophisticated features such as wide-angle lenses and quality image sensors and are designed for even beginners to produce decent image quality with ease. The ability to capture amazing action shots or high-quality video recordings is easier than ever before. Coupled with the easy image transfer process to smartphones and other devices, the use of compact digital cameras is key to staying connected during travel. With the simple push of a button, these “action cameras” can transfer images to mobile devices and allow you to share them on social media platforms.
When researching travel cameras, you should consider these questions:
- What is the size and weight of the camera? Is it durable and easy to carry around?
- How will the lens perform in low lighting and what is the optical zoom?
- Can the camera sync to my Wi-Fi network and will I be able to transfer images easily?
- Is the camera equipped for geotagging, to record the locations of my images?
- Is the camera waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof?
- Does the camera have HD video capability?
- How are the autofocus settings reviewed by users and can I use manual settings as well?
- How is the color quality rated in images produced by the camera, including those shot underwater?
- What is the typical battery life?
- What accessories are included and does it come with a warranty from the manufacturer?
Recommended Best Travel Camera Under $200
Three affordable options travelers may wish to consider in the "Best Travel Camera Under $200" category are: the Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera, Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera and Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera. Each of these models boasts features ideal for travelers who need a lightweight and durable camera.
Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera Review
Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera - Countless hobbyist photographers have proclaimed the Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera to be one of the best travel cameras on the market.
- Comprehensive LCD display, Waterproof and Shockproof body, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity and SnapBridge app
- Nikon offers it as part of a bundle which includes memory card, travel charger and tripod
- Top rated for video recording
Full Review: Nikon Coolpix W100 Rugged Digital Camera Review
Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera Review
Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera - Ideal for the infrequent photographer who just wants some outstanding photographic memories of their well-deserved vacations.
- Compact body, image stabilization, face detention and package bundles including SD cards
- Image recovery software
- 8x optical zoom
Full Review: Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera Review
Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera Review
Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera - The compact Cyber-shot DSC-WX220 from Sony is a great choice for the amateur to moderate photographer and videographer.
- Optical Zoom, full HD video recording in 1080/60p, Sweep Panorama mode
- Long Battery Life
- Wi-Fi Connectivity, Lightweight design, multiple color options
Full Review: Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera Review
See More: Best Travel Camera Under $200
Cameras Under $200 Amazon Best Sellers
- MP Super HAD CCD sensor for beautifully detailed images. Blink Detection
- Sony Lens w/ 5x Optical Zoom and 360 sweep panorama
- Reduced blur with SteadyShot Image stabilization
- Capture your videos in 720p HD Movie mode
- Simplify camera menu with Easy Mode; Digital Zoom- Still images: 20M approx.10x, 10M approx.7.1x, 5M approx.9.9x, VGA approx.40x, 2M(16:9) approx.13x, Movies: Digital Zoom approx. 10x (*1)
- 30x Optical/60x Clear Image Zoom ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* Lens, 18.2MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor for superb low light images, Built-in retractable OLED Tru-Finder viewfinder
- Versatile video w/ high-quality XAVC S, AVCHD & MP4 formats, Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi w/NFC, 5-axis image stabilization greatly reduces camera shake blur
- Selfie-ready 3" Extra Fine LCD multi-angle display, P/A/S/M modes, customizable settings and Memory Recall mode, Enhance features w/ downloadable camera apps, Capture the decisive moments with up to 10fps or keep your subject in focus with Lock-on AF
- Focus Range Wide: 1.97" (5 cm) - Infinity Telephoto: 8.20' (2.5 m) - Infinity.Adjustable Angle Up by approx. 180 degrees. F-number (Maximum Aperture) F3.5 (W) - 6.4 (T)
- In-The-Box: Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1; AC AdaptorAC-UUD12; Micro USB cable; Wrist Strap; Instruction Manual
- 30x (24 720mm) LEICA DC Lens optical zoom performance is ideally suited for travel and everyday photography
- 18 Megapixel sensor delivers high resolution photos with fewer image artifacts
- 4K Ultra HD video recording plus exclusive LUMIX 4K PHOTO and 4K Post Focus photo capture features
- Eye level Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) and touch enabled LCD for a wider viewing experience. Focusing Area-Normal-Wide 50 cm- infinity/Tele 200 cm-infinity
- Lens mounted control ring brings DSLR like exposure control to a compact point and shoot camera body.Kindly refer the user manual before use.Wifi:IEEE 802.11b/g/n
Back to Top of Best Travel Camera Under $200