Choosing the best travel camera under $200 requires careful research. Here we examine point-and-shoot cameras as well as other compact cameras that produce high-quality images and are ideal for your travel needs. When evaluating a travel camera, travelers should consider the locations they will visit (especially if a waterproof camera is needed), compatibility with other devices (such as smartphones and tablets), desired features (such as autofocus, action shooting, color settings, video capabilities), and overall value and consumer reviews.
Unlike many professional DSLR cameras, today’s high-tech digital compact cameras in the “rugged camera” class are easy enough for even amateur photographers to master and produce decent image quality and video recording capabilities and are a must for any traveler who wants to try her hand at Vlogging. As you plan your journey abroad, we’ll help you through the ins and outs of choosing a reliable and high-quality travel camera for under $200.
How to Choose the Best Travel Camera
Continued advancements in technology have brought us an impressive class of point-and-shoot cameras in this budget category. They are jam-packed with sophisticated features such as wide-angle lenses and quality image sensors and are designed for even beginners to produce decent image quality with ease. The ability to capture amazing action shots or high-quality video recordings is easier than ever before. Coupled with the easy image transfer process to smartphones and other devices, the use of compact digital cameras is key to staying connected during travel. With the simple push of a button, these “action cameras” can transfer images to mobile devices and allow you to share them on social media platforms.
When researching travel cameras, you should consider these questions:
- What is the size and weight of the camera? Is it durable and easy to carry around?
- How will the lens perform in low lighting and what is the optical zoom?
- Can the camera sync to my Wi-Fi network and will I be able to transfer images easily?
- Is the camera equipped for geotagging, to record the locations of my images?
- Is the camera waterproof, shockproof, and freezeproof?
- Does the camera have HD video capability?
- How are the autofocus settings reviewed by users and can I use manual settings as well?
- How is the color quality rated in images produced by the camera, including those shot underwater?
- What is the typical battery life?
- What accessories are included and does it come with a warranty from the manufacturer?
Recommended Best Travel Camera Under $200
Three affordable options travelers may wish to consider in the "Best Travel Camera Under $200" category are: the Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera, Canon PowerShot Elph 180 Digital Camera and Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera. Each of these models boasts features ideal for travelers who need a lightweight and durable camera.
Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera Review
Countless hobbyist photographers have proclaimed the Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera to be one of the best travel cameras on the market. Comprehensive LCD display, Waterproof and Shockproof body, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity and SnapBridge app, great bundles available, top rated for video recording
Full Review: Nikon Coolpix Rugged Digital Camera Review
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Nikon Coolpix W150 Digital Camera (White), Accessory Bundle for Large Point and Shoot Digital Cameras, EN-EL19 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Replacement Battery for Nikon Coolpix, 32GB 80MB/s SD Card, and Foam Floating Camera Strap (Color May Vary)
- IMAGING: The camera offers an effective pixel count of 13.2 million pixels and is equipped with a 3x optical zoom NIKKOR lens. It has Dynamic Fine Zoom*, which can be used to achieve approximately 6x zoom
- RUGGED DESIGN: The Nikon Coolpix W150 is tough and reliable for use by children and adults in a variety of leisure and travel situations. The camera is waterproof to a depth of 33-feet/10m, shockproof to withstand falls from as high as 5.9-feet/1.8m, dustproof and cold-resistant down to 14 degree Fahrenheit/-10 degree Celsius
- ZOOM: Dynamic Fine Zoom can be used to achieve approximately 6x zoom while ensuring that resolution remains high throughout the digital zoom range
Canon PowerShot Elph Digital Camera Review
Ideal for the infrequent photographer who just wants some outstanding photographic memories of their well-deserved vacations. Compact body, image stabilization, face detention and package bundles including SD cards. Image recovery software and 8x optical zoom.
Full Review: Canon PowerShot Elph Digital Camera Review
- 12x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer helps you capture images with flexibility and ease
- Built in Wi Fi and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos. Large 3.0 inch LCD enables easy viewing even from a wide angle.Max Resolution:5184 x 3888
- 1080p HD video capabilities, 20.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor to help deliver stunning image quality even in low light
- Hi Speed USB (Mini B), HDMI (Type D), direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers & PictBridge compatible printers, design rule for Camera File system (DCF) compliant, DPOF (Version 1.1) compatible
- Operating temperature is 0 to 40 degree celsius. Operating humidity is 10 to 90 percent. Zooming is not possible when shooting movies Subjects look distorted when subjects that pass in front of the camera quickly may look distorted. This is not a malfunction. Shots are out of focus, press the shutter button halfway to focus on subjects before pressing it all the way down to shoot. Make sure subjects are within focusing range. Set af assist beam to on. Confirm that unneeded functions such as macro are deactivated. Image stabilization for angular camera shake and shift shake in macro shots hybrid is
Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera Review
The compact Cyber-shot DSC-WX220 from Sony is a great choice for the amateur to moderate photographer and videographer. Features include Optical Zoom, full HD video recording in 1080/60p, Sweep Panorama mode, Long Battery Life,Wi-Fi Connectivity, Lightweight design, multiple color options.
Full Review: Sony DSCWX220 B 18.2 MP Digital Camera Review
- 10x Optical / 20x Clear Image Zoom G Lens, 182MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor for superb low light images, BIONZ X engine for superb detail and noise reduction
- Operating temperature:32-104°F/0-40°C.Smooth Full HD video recording in 1080/60p, Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi w/NFC, Capture the decisive moment with up to 10fps
- In the box: Rechargeable Battery (NP-BN), AC Adaptor (AC-UB10C / UB10D), Micro USB cable, Wrist Strap, Instruction Manual
- BATTERY LIFE(STILL IMAGES)(CIPA):Up to 210 shots / 105 minutes
See More: Best Travel Camera Under $200
Cameras Under $200 Amazon Best Sellers
- Zippered pocket stores memory cards and small accessories
- Durable nylon and interior padding protect your camera against daily wear and tear
- Internal Dimensions: 5.3 x 3.3 x 0.9 inches (LxWxH)
- External Dimensions 5.9 x 4 x 1.6 inches (LxWxH)
- Best suited for Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5OS, Canon G7X Mark II, Panasonic DC-ZS70, Panasonic LUMIX DMC ZS70, Sony RX100 iii, Canon G9x MK II, Sony RX100, Canon Powershot SX730, Canon Powershot G16, Fujifilm Finepix XP120, Canon G5X; other models may also fit but are not guaranteed
- 8x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer helps you capture images with flexibility and ease
- 20.0 Megapixel CCD sensor combines with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor to help deliver stunning image quality
- 720p HD video capabilities. Product Dimensions(W x H x D):3.75 x 2.14 x 0.87 inches/95.2 x 54.3 x 22.1 mm
- Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings based on predefined shooting situations
- Digital IS helps reduce the effect of camera shake and subject movement. Scene Modes such as Fisheye Effect, Toy Camera Effect and Monochrome provide creative freedom to capture your photos Video Capture Resolution: Hd 720P Optical Sensor Resolution: 12 Megapixels INCLUDES: The Camera, 2X 16Gb Class 10 Memory card a Camera Case, And a Crystal Flash Sales Fiber Cloth
- Quality materials and logical organization ensure your equipment is stored safely inside, yet instantly accessible
- Zippered front storage pocket holds an extra memory card or small accessories
- Camera case fits most advanced point and shoot cameras
- Fully adjustable shoulder strap
- Detachable shoulder strap and belt loop allow easy transport
Back to Top of Best Travel Camera Under $200
Tech4Trek Camera Guides